“You get what you pay for”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in New London
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Didn't feel clean. Bed was uncomfortable. Sheets didn't fit right, one thin blanket. And a non-running (per the vehicle owner, it had no starter in it) camper in the parking lot used as a 'party . Yuck.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Renie_62

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed four nights and found out why it is the least expensive. Corners are cut. No maid service unless you ask for it and then they just empty the trash and give you fresh towels. Breakfast consists of cold cereal, bread products to toast, bananas, packaged donuts, juice and coffee. Our room was recently painted and probably renovated. Good shower. Old furniture but room was very clean. Flooring and shower unit appeared pretty new. So it depends on what you want for your money when you travel. Central Wisconsin is expensive, so you don't get as much as you may be used to.

Room Tip: Book ahead if going to Iola old car show. Motel sells out.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Larry W
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I’ve never stayed in such a filthy, rundown and even frightening hotel in all my travels. I checked in exhausted from a long flight and didn’t have time to really inspect the room as I had to be at a meeting to attend. Upon turning in for the night, that’s when I noticed the dirty hand towels, badly fitted sink faucet so close to back I could hardly get my hands under to wash my face, muddy boot prints all over the bathroom floor, sheets on bed worn with tears and wholes and pillows that should have been discarded years ago!
I also noticed that I was what seemed to be the only guest, there were other people living at the other end of hotel, but never any cars parked in the front or other guests in the lobby. No matter how nice I was to the women running hotel, or what I now realize was a flop house for homeless and drug addicts seemed put out by my being there. Possibly I was an interruption in their routine and having a hotel guest not the actual intended use of the building.
When I approached the desk to check out, they said I was booked for 3 nights and had already run the credit card used to reserve at reservation. Even stranger, the card was run at 12:35 am. About the same time a disruption argument between the management took place outside my door! They probably knew I was at the end of my rope, like past guests and would get the money during the night. When I initially checked in, I was very clear that they were not to put any charges on that card and I would be personally paying the bill. The couple at the desk argued with each other and then the women snapped and argued with me for leaving early. They did finally reverse the charges on the card and then handed me a new bill for 3 days. After further argument, I paid for 2 days cash and got the heck out of there!

Forget contacting the corporate office to file a complaint as being a Americas Best Value Inn is a membership, and all they can do is forward your complaint back to the hotel management were the problem existed!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Donna M
ABVINN01, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you for your detailed commentary on your previous years stay.

We are deeply sorry for the discomfort you may have incurred from our part.

As a highly valued customer, we only wish you had informed the front
desk immediately on the condition of the room. We were not aware till
we received your email. In similar situations, we suggest calling
immediately from the room and we would be happy to resolve the issue
by changing the room very quickly instead of staying a night or we would have provided you a better room.
we do not have any homeless and drug addict people at the end of the motel. these group is a legal migrant workers and their bosses used to stay with us, now they stay the motel across the street and these group also visit over any time of the day too.
we are the only motel in the town has the parking all around the building and any guest can park the car around building too.
this motel is older motel than the motel across the street, however we are the only one in the town,
use the highest cleaning prouduct 'ECOLAB' than any motel in the town.

Again, we would like to sincerely apologize and we appreciate your comments and concerns.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Went there with my elderly mother, husband, daughter and her two daughters. Was in New London for a funeral. Looked like hotel would be ok when I checked the website, but when we got there things were not good. Looked like some things were under construction, but as we got into the two rooms I had booked, it was obvious that this place is in total disrepair. My daughter walked up to her room, and the janitor offered to get a room for her oldest daughter. What,,, this place is creepy and scary. The rooms were filthy, sheets were stained, pillows were horrible. I could not wait to get out of there. Went across the street to AmericanInn. Booked two rooms there, was so relieved to have a safe clean place to stay. I called my bank and killed my debit card. At the funereal I heard horror stories about this Americas Best Value. Meth cooking there? A murder there a year ago. Some questionable activities there. I hope this review will help someone else. I have also heard that people have had to sleep in their cars if AmericanInn did not have room for them to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pat H

we appreciate for your comments and concerns.
this motel is older than the motel across the road, however we do keep our rooms clean, we do use the best cleaning product 'ecolab' than any motel in the town.
you did not give us a chance to serve you, you checked out within few seconds and also spoke to us about your grandkids have the allergy of the dog.
we have few family with childern staying with us for extended time period and they go to the school everyday.
please check with the local police that we have any incident about the meth lab in this motel.
we had no murder happened on the premises however the guest was pronouce dead at the hospital, not at the motel.
thanks a lot for your concerns.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Spent the night with 3 other families at this motel en route to a Green Bay Packers game. We got back from Green Bay around 1am and were greeted by a wonderful manager and his staff.

As opposed to what other reviews are saying, I (and the children we had with us) found the huge dog to be friendly and playful. Unfortunately , the pool was closed but the suite's Jacuzzi was a little old, but clean and well functioning. Bed along with linens and the rest was crisp clean. I've been to many hotels and this place was very very clean for the price they asked for.

Their manager, Victor, was very helpful. The staff was cheery and helped us 24/7 as things did arise we needed throughout the night and I thank them for their hospitality and genuine caring.

It's an easy choice for me to make when I come down to watch Packers games now. Cheap and great. I really recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I came here for a wedding of some friends and the AmericInn was completely booked, so we decided to go directly across the street to Americas Best Value. For 80 bucks we got their Jacuzzi Suite, which, while outdated looking was excellent; I wasn't worried about getting some type of disease or infection nor did I shower 100 times after, and the bed was just right. The front desk guy seemed very kind and cool - we drove in from the Twin Cities and ended up getting to New London at about 12:30, we went in fully expecting them to call us crazy for trying to check-in but he was prompt and more than happy to check us in! I was never concerned about safety, there was no man-eating German Shepard or gang or whatever. I wouldn't have an extensive stay here, but for the one night it definitely got the job done. Also, there's a continental breakfast - an excellent option for those wedding reception drinkers.

There's only two reasons I didn't give this an excellent rating: 1) There was always a towel stuffed under the door to the entrance of our hall from outside, I assume this was for maintenance people to walk in and out but it was still sort of sketchy and it was the only time I ever thought about safety. 2) When we were coming back there was a.... lady of the night..... leaning against our door on her cell phone. Again, a little sketchy, but she seemed legit; people do stay at hotels for various reasons. The towel thing bugged me more to be honest.

Bottom line, if you're in your mid-twenties and two of your buddies just got hitched but you really don't feel like dropping cash on some hotel for less than 24 hours - this place is your best bet.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We were in Wisconsin to visit friends and go to the Symco Shakedown. It was about 15 miles from the show. Nice clean hotel. The hotel staff was nice and helpful. It would have been nice to have a pool and hot tub. The breakfast limited but good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!