“Pleasant Swiss hotel conveniently located, excellent staff and service.”
Review of Chalet Landhaus

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Glarus
Chalet Landhaus
Ranked #1 of 6 New Glarus B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 26, 2009

My kids and I stayed in at the Chalet Landhaus in room 402, the 3-bed family suite. The third bed was in a separate bedroom, complete with locking door. Watch your head if you are over 5'5", the ceiling slopes and unfortunately is the lowest right next to the closet area. The other two beds and two-seat table were located in a spacious room. Updated bathroom completed suite.

The service and staff at this hotel are outstanding, as is the food. Generous continent breakfast. It does remind me of a quaint hotel one might find in Switzerland. Having the Sugar River bike trail so close by is great, as is the mini-golf course across the street.

My kids enjoyed the pool. The jacuzzi/hot tub could have used a little less chlorine.

Things I would improve: the beds and the soundproofing. I found the double bed to be one of the more uncomfortable beds I've ever slept in. A little small for two tall people (beds were double beds). It rained during the night, and my ears told me I was camping...there must be nothing between the ceiling and the roof shingles except wood. I agree with the other reviews...easier than I'd like to hear alarm clocks, showers, and dogs barking from other rooms.

Overall we had a great time.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed October 28, 2008

This was the fourth time we have stayed at the Chalet Landhaus in the past 20+ years. The front desk has "1980" chiseled into the wood, and we do guess that is when the place opened. It is still charming in many respects but it definitely needs some "TLC." Our room was on the third floor...elevator creeks as if it had rheumatism. Lamps had low wattage bulbs so it was impossible to get much light in the room. Bathroom tub and floor grouting were gross.......and that could be easily and inexpensively fixed! Because of the pitch of the roof (charming in itself) the shower head was so low that only someone under 5'3" could possibly stand up. Rugs were stained. Bed was a bit lumpy. Nothing huge...but definitely in need of upgrading. Weekend full breakfast was good. Weekday breakfast was ok, but cinnamon rolls appeared to have been from the day before (say "hockey puck"). Music in the kitchen was definitely NOT Swiss so some of the ambiance was lost (one of the main reasons we wanted to stay here). Would we return? Probably not.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2008

the place is cute. and the restaurant is great with atmosphere. the definetly need more staff. but the few that were there were absoluty great, the rooms were a little dingy and outdated, the pool are was semi-clean the pool was nice at night with less people. the food is so good the little excercise room is great for working it off=]. the sauna is working but the floor is broken in places. the hotel needed alot of cleaning. the pictures are not up to par with the standards of the place, walking distance from downtown&trail.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2008

We have friends in town, and over the past decade or so, I have stayed here many times.

The rooms are very clean, if a tad sterile, and the staff are very pleasant.

The breakfasts are also very fresh and comprised of local meats, cheeses, and freshly made yogurt and pastries.

It's right on the bike trail, and you can walk into town easily.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We decided to take a drive to New Glarus at a moments notice over labor day weekend (it's about 2 hours from where we live). I checked with Trip Advisor prior to booking and decided to give Chalet Landhaus a try. The entire town is Swiss and this inn looks like something you would find in Switzerland. The town is very cute and quaint. They had a labor day festival going on and we got there in time to see a Yodeling contest, which was something different! The inn is located immediatley next to the Sugar River Trail...a 23 mile bike/walking trail that runs from Brodhead to New Glarus. The stay, since it was a Sunday night, included a buffet breakfast and it was pretty good. The rooms are average at best. Our room was a whirlpool suite with balcony (that is all they had available). We did not use the whirlpool but it looked nice and it was big enough for two. The room was clean. It was a bit dated and could use some updating. My biggest complaint would be the lack of insulation from noise. We had a room on the second floor at the end of the building and we could hear people coming in & out of the downstairs door that led to the parking lot all night. We could hear everyone walking up or down the stairs. And anytime anyone in a room close to ours used the bathroom we could hear the water like it was rushing down our walls.
If you are planning a bike trip on the Sugar River Trail and need to spend the night somewhere, this place would be ideal as it is the closest thing to the start (or end) of the bike path. The location from town is excellent...it is only about one short block away from downtown New Glarus. The inn has a restaurant that serves dinner but we only ate breakfast there. The restaurant has an outdoor patio with chairs/tables & umbrellas and it is nice to sit out there to eat or have a drink. We didn't use the pool but we saw it and it looked nice...there were people using it the night we were there.
I would probably choose to stay somewhere else on our next trip to New Glarus. The towns are close enough where you could stay in the next town over (or even Madison) and drive to New Glarus for the day or a few hours. The town is beautiful and the drive there is some of the most spectacular, hilly countryside to be found in Wisconsin. There are many state parks nearby too.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2007

We arrived late Friday evening and had dinner in the hotel dining room. The food and service were excellent.

The room was comfortable and clean, but the carpet needed to be replaced; it looked a bit worn. The regular sized tub with four jets was nice for a relaxing bath. There were a couple of places that could have used some fresh caulking.

The pool area and excercise room were very nice. Sat & Sun breakfast buffet was included and was a cut above the norm. Sunday was especially good with made-to-order omelets.

The quirkiness and charm of the "Swiss" atmosphere offset any minor faults, and all members of the staff we spoke to were unfailing friendly and helpful.

We would stay there again if we return to the area.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cobble
Reviewed December 3, 2006

My husband and I have been going to New Glarus for over 10 years. We usedd to stay at the New Glarus Hotel until that closed. We have also stayed at the Swiss Aire Motel, but we were disappointed. I understand that the Swiss Aire is under new management and it is much niceer than in the past. Chalet Landhaus is the most expensive of the hotels in New Glarus. When you arrive, it looks exactly like a Swiss chalet and you feel as if you are in the Alps. The rooms are nice, but not WOW. in November, we went for my birthday. My husband upgraded to a jacuzzi suite. When we arrived in our room, we were disappointed to see that it is a small bathtub with 4 jets in it. It was not worth the upgrade. My husband had made dinner reservations for Friday night. When he called, he said that it was for my birthday and asked that a cake or something be done. The check was brought to our table and nothing was done. When we left, we glanced at the reservation book, and the birthday information was written on there. He was disappointed because he wanted to surprise me.

With your stay, you receive a free breakfast buffet. There is a wide selection of pastries, cheese, sausage, eggs, pancakes, french toast. It is plenty to choose from, and if you walk away hungry it is your own fault. You can order breakfast off the menu, but you must pay for that.

On Sunday morning (5am) the people in the room next to us were taking a shower. The sound of the water was screaming in the pipes and it woke us up. I had never heard it that loud before. I don't know what was up with that.

Overall, we had a nice time.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lizzz

Been to Chalet Landhaus? Share your experiences!