“Crossed off another one from the Bottoms Up list”

New Glarus Brewing Company
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in New Glarus
Wautoma, Wisconsin
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Crossed off another one from the Bottoms Up list”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My sister & I are working our way through the list of bars & breweries in the Book - Bottoms Up. So we took a road trip to the New Glarus area to tour the New Glarus Brewing Company. We chose the free self-guided tour instead of the "Hard Hat Tour" which is for the serious beer brewer types. We enjoyed the walk through the clean, shiny facility; but we enjoyed the tasting room even more. It's $3.50 for 3 - 3 ounce glasses. Being family, we tasted our beer & each others too. We skipped the Spotted Cow because we've drunk far too many of them before. Learned that the Cabin Fever is more my husband's style as it's a lighter beer. I liked Two Women, Moon Man & their specialty beer, Serendipity. The Black Top IPA was too heavy for me but would be great in my cooking. Took home a sampler 12 pack & some Serendipity along with some souvenirs. Have had to buy several more sampler 12 packs & Serendipity as my friends also like New Glarus beers. I would recommend the tour to any beer lovers out there. My only regret was that it was Mother's Day & so many of the shops in New Glarus were closed. It's a quaint little town that I'll have to go back to someday.

Visited May 2013

Waukesha, Wisconsin
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Nice Beer Garden”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Beautiful scenery from their brand new beer garden, very spacious. Beer was very good. Tour is self guided and FREE! Tasting is inexpensive.

Hazelhurst, Wisconsin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We recently took a day trip to New Glarus to see the brewery, my husband had visited in the past and wanted me to see it. What a great place!! Very new and modern, it is a self guided tour which I like. After touring the brewery you can go out to the courtyard in the back of the building, it had tables to visit at with the most breath taking views. You could order flat bread pizza which was made in and outdoor stone oven, very good. Can't wait to go back, what a great place they have made for people to enjoy, they should be very proud. Kim & Denis Gillis

Appleton, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Enjoyable, low key visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We visited the New Glarus Brewery because of the popularity of Spotted Cow beer in Wisconsin, and because we were visiting New Glarus with an open itinerary. I'm glad we visited. It is a very neat layout, designed to look like an old European Brewery. There is a brief, self guided tour, with a relaxing beer garden, where you can buy samplers or pints of New Glarus Beer. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The beer garden construction, and the construction of the brewery in general is very unique. It was a relaxing and pleasant way to spend a few hours. I'd definitely go back!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not impressed- too big and corporate”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stopped here after touring the Minhas brewery in Monroe, WI and there is no comparison. New Glarus is huge, new and immaculate, however there was no guided tour. You just walk around on your own and look through the glass at the huge vats, etc. There weren't even signs or tour guides to help describe the process. There were no free samples, each 3 oz. sample cost $3.50. What a rip off. Also, the prices in their store were high, you would expect some discount on the product at the brewery but maybe the laws don't allow that? Considering the money New Glarus has spent (and is spending) on the plant, you would think they could do a little more to encourage visitors to learn about the brewing process.