“VERY DISAPPOINTED”

Zacatecas Mexican Grill & Tequila Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Zacatecas Mexican Grill & Tequila Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 86 Restaurants in Neenah
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I've been here three times and last night was not good
there was no bean dip with appetizer and the salsa was very watered down
the meal was cold. I know the tacos get cold but the rice and refried beans were cold
My guest and I were very disappointed in the quality of this meal.
told them at the check out but I guess it didn't mean much.
VERY DISAPPOINTED

1  Thank virginia M

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

OMG love this place, and wish it was about 1,200 miles closer to home! Everything…and I mean everything - was extraordinary! The Seabass was unbelievable, as were all of the accompaniments, and the margarita was unquestionably one of the best I've ever had! Talk to your servers…and listen to them and to their recommendations!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

First off, I have been going to Zacateca's for years now and they have never disappointed. Not only is the food the best Mexican I've ever had, but the atmosphere is top notch-- I have never found another restaurant like it. They blend authentic and classy together in a creative and pleasing manner that is definitely an amazing experience. Their drinks are wonderfully one of a kind, artisticly combining liquors and fruits to bring you the best margaritas you will ever have.

The dinner is great, as is their lunch buffet.. I recommend it every time I hear someone is looking for an awesome meal.

5 stars every time

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We've eaten here many times. Never been disappointed. Specials are usually fantastic. Love the Scratch margaritas! Rivals Texas and Mexico!

1  Thank Happy E
Reviewed August 6, 2013

OK, so we heard great things. I read great things here. And so maybe our expectations were too high.

We started with Margaritas. Our table of four got the Signature Margarita (all top shelf, sweet and citrusy), the Watermelon Margarita (ok, but hard to drink because watermelon chunks get caught in the straw, and then the Cucumber Margarita (strong herbal flavor). I didn't care for the cucumber one because it was so strongly infused with cucumber. After offering it to my fellow diners and no one wanted it, I sent it back and just got a beer. The waiter Rick informed me that he would comp the beer but not the margarita. Already not a great start, but we were excited about the appetizer. We got the seven moles.

This is the highlight of the entire meal. This is all flavor. Beautifully presented, exciting and delicious. This was what I wanted the entire meal to be. The moles were everything I could have hoped for. Everyone at the table loved them. I had a favorite mole, and I asked the waiter what kind of chile and spices were used. He wasn't sure; he didn't find out.

And then we waited, and waited some more. We finished our drinks, no water was provided (we eventually asked for some), and after about 45 minutes, we flagged our waiter down and he said our food would be soon. After an hour wait, we finally were served. We had the Mahi Mahi tacos, the pork tamales and the pièce de résistance: the seafood molcajete (a giant bowl of shrimp, mussels, grouper and salmon which could have easily fed our entire table). We dug in. The Mahi Mahi tacos had great flavor, really fresh. The men loved the tamales. The special, though, was less than special. The seafood was cooked. Everything tasted fine (not old or spoilt), but there was no punch, no spice, no flavor. It was a bowl of boiled fish. Whatever. My mom wanted to try the mussels, and when I looked for one for her, the last three were closed. I told the waiter who was like, "oh well."

I asked for the rest to be boxed for us to go, including the guacamole which I didn't have room for, then went to the bathroom. When we got back, there was a box on the table and our bill. As I was paying, the bartender (maybe the owner) Ernesto came out to the table to offer his sincere half-hearted apologies for the hour delay. It went like this: I know you waited for over an hour for your food, but it wasn't our fault. There was a big group at this other table. Fine. We hadn't complained about that, and really we were having a good conversation, so whatever. But if you're going to apologize, try to save the customer experience, don't just cast the blame elsewhere.

So, we go to leave and I pick up the box of leftovers, and it's light. I opened it, and it's just the salsa, no seafood. I ask Rick the waiter where's the seafood, and he said, "there were only onions left, so I just tossed it out." He apologized, but it was just the last straw.

We spent over $100, they couldn't comp a drink, offer us an extra mussel, bring out an extra basket of chips during our wait or provide anything approaching attentive service. I've received better service from the run of the mill Mexican places around here. I didn't have to travel an hour away to be ignored just to eat overpriced, under seasoned meals.