“Best beer cheese soup in the state”

Grumpy Troll Pub & Brewery
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Mount Horeb
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Local Brewery featuring 12 of our own beers on tap and many award winning. Many local food offerings and full bar. Daily specials include Friday FishFry and Sat Prime Rib. 2Nd floor is home to Pizzeria and full bar with many large screens for the games.
Near Chicago, Illinois
“Best beer cheese soup in the state”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I came to Mt. Horeb in 2012 and twice in 2013 to bicycle the hills in the area. A favorite stop for dinner was the Grumpy Troll. Their beer cheese soup is the best in the state. It's made with andouille sausage, which spices it up, and has just the right amount of cheese. The corn bread muffins that accompany the soup are great.
I've also had the burgers, pizza and walleye sandwich. These are good but not outstanding.

• Visited September 2013

Madison, Wisconsin
“A good choice”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

A trip to Mt. Horeb with my brother and after he checked out the DTCo. we asked the 'associate' for a lunch recommendation. Although the G Troll was not mentioned and there were other choices available, we went for the Troll. Not gonna lie, wish we could have gotten pizza, but in the end we each ordered a brat and a beer and very left happy. The beers were really well done and the food was definitely above average bar food. The service was spot on too. I serve in Madison and can be picky, but our server played right along with my shenanigans. Kudos to her for not letting our late lunch be a distraction either.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank madaneson
Wautoma, Wisconsin
“Spent Mother's Day with my son & my sister in Mt. Horeb”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

While on a road trip with my sister, we stopped off in Mt. Horeb to visit my son on Mother's Day. Since my sister had never been to the Grumpy Troll, that's where we went for lunch. It was pretty busy, but we enjoyed playing the Trivial Pursuit cards while we waited for our beers & food to arrive. We tried the fish tacos, a burger & a salad. All were good. Being family, of coursed we sampled each others beers. We tried their Bourbon Barrel Stour, their Grumpy Crik Pale Ale & their Trollfest Lager. Also all very good. It was a fun way to spend my Mother's Day & it seems to be the happening place in Mt. Horeb.

• Visited May 2013
Morristown, New Jersey
“Grumpy when you enter...”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Yes, you may be grumpy when you enter, but you leave quite happy and content! Lots of microbrews & flights to choose from and a great pub/German menu. They actually have homemade pretzels that are 12" in diameter! This is what my sis-in-law gets whenever they go. They also have awesome pizza. There's lots of room to sit, but be ready to wait just a bit because this is one of the few places to have a fun meal at in Mt. Horeb. Well worth the wait!

• Visited August 2013
Woodstock, Illinois
“Very Happy with Grumpy Troll”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This restaurant appeared when we searched for some place to eat in Mount Horeb. I like places with ambience and this has it. All four of us enjoyed our meals and trust me when I tell you that doesn't happen often. Burgers were nicely done and the sandwich wrap was very tasty. Food was served hot and didn't take too long to arrive. Many points for the home-brewed root beer which was a nice surprise. We sat on the main floor, which is the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars-the tables were a bit close together. During the meal there were quite a bit of "elbows" and "sorrys" as we and our fellow diners were a little too close for comfort. Otherwise, a good experience.

• Visited August 2013