“Good food, friendly serivce, casual dining.”

Grumpy Troll Pub & Brewery
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Mount Horeb
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Local Brewery featuring 12 of our own beers on tap and many award winning. Many local food offerings and full bar. Daily specials include Friday FishFry and Sat Prime Rib. 2Nd floor is home to Pizzeria and full bar with many large screens for the games.
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The restaurant itself is historical, which makes it interesting just to be here and learn about it's history. They also brew award winning beer here! We had a party of seven and everyone enjoyed their meals. The waitress we had was friendly and kept on top of getting our drinks refilled. The food came out quickly and there were no mistakes. They have Trivial Pursuit game cards on the table to entertain yourself while waiting, although very dated! Overall we were all pleased and would definitely come again.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were traveling to Door County and stopped for a late lunch in Mount Horeb, WI. (a nice place to spend some time, if you have the chance) We stepped into the Grumpy Troll Pub and saw all the empty tables with signs on them, saying "Reserved". The host came forward quickly to make us feel welcome, saying "These tables are reserved for YOU!" We laughed and sat down.

Our waitress arrived quickly and was efficient about bringing our drinks and taking our orders. The food arrived in good time and was hot and tasty. Everyone in our party was satisfied.

There was a bit of a delay in getting the bill paid - the waitress had my spouse's credit card for longer than we thought necessary. But all in all, it was a good experience. If you are a beer drinker (I am not, my husband is) you will be in heaven. This small brewery has excellent choices and knows their beer.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I go here often, and its usually excellent, sometimes they get busy and you will have to wait, but this is a good sign right? The pizza is delicious, and they have some really interesting choices. The beer is all worth sampling, I prefer the rye ones. The nachos here are remarkable, as are a few of the burgers, my wife really enjoys the Alfredo pasta. This should be a definite stop if you are in the area.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

It has seemed lately that my husband and I have had a string of bad luck when we revisit restaurants that had been long time favorites. In many of these cases the food quality had declined and frankly, staff had horrible attitudes. Hoping to buck the trend we decided to make the short drive from Madison to Mt. Horeb. What a great way to spend the end of the holiday weekend! The drive on the back roads is always beautiful, but we were also pleased to find that Mt. Horeb itself had done some main street sprucing up and looked even more adorable than ever. The pub is down a side street and judging by the amount of cars parked at the curb (there is no parking lot that belongs to the pub) we anticipated a crowd. But the dining room was nearly empty (the bar area was quite active) and we were greeted and seated immediately. Our designated server was busy right away, but the hostess brought us water (it was a beastly hot day) to sip while we studied the menu. I don't think it was a minute or two before the server checked in with us. We already had a good idea of what we wanted (my "usual"-the black bean sandwich and fish tacos for my husband-a new item). I also ordered a pint of Eric the Red and my husband chose the Wee Curley this time over his usual Maggie. The server let us know that even on Sunday our drinks would be at their "Grumpy Hour" prices. Nice! I did not note the time the order went in, but it could't have been more than 5 minutes before the food arrived. I ordered my sandwich with the waffle fries. Everything was hot upon arrival. The salsa and veggies used tasted like they had been fresh picked this morning. The "platform" of flatbread (the sandwich is served open faced) was tasty and a good texture. The seasoning for the beans is lively and not overly-assertive. The fish tacos (with a mango salad) isn't exactly what you would get in southern California, but he raved about the fish prep and the tortillas. A new favorite item.
We didn't get their mammoth pretzel appetizer this time, but I would encourage future diners to most definately give that a try.
The trend is broken! And Grumpy Troll remains one of our favorite places to eat in the area.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Hubby and I stopped for lunch on Sunday afternoon. We sampled all but two of the brews on tap. Almost all were very good. The Scottish Ale was our favorite. So smooth! We had a regular size BBQ Chicken pizza which was delicious! We were very full and took some home. Service was quick and friendly. We sat upstairs and were able to be served immediately. People were walking upstairs saying that the staff downstairs sent them up to wait. We were glad that we headed upstairs first. We had the bar (and taps!) to ourselves for a good part of our visit. :)