“tyrol Basin” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tyrol Basin Ski & Snowboard Area

Tyrol Basin Ski & Snowboard Area
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Mount Horeb
More attraction details
Owner description: Ski and snowboard recreation area offers 17 runs, the longest of which is 2,600 feet, with a 300' vertical drop, 3 triple chairlifts, rope and cable tows. Tyrol Basin's terrain park was voted number 1 in the Midwest by the Transworld Snowboarding Magazine resort poll.
Madison, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“tyrol Basin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have grown up snowboarding at Tyrol basin since I was 5 years old I is my favorite place to snowboard in the mid-west. Theres always good vibes and the park crew always keeps the set up new and creative.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank sam A

Baltimore
222 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 332 helpful votes
“It's convenient, so take what you can get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is the closest skiing/snowboarding area to Madison. The hills aren't great, but it gets the job done.

The season pass is pretty reasonable. I've gotten it for around $250. You also get a free one-day ski pass, which you can use for a friend. For those that just want to ski recreationally once in a while, I'd recommend going on Tuesday nights. The lift tickets are only $12. As the ski season progresses, usually there are more discounts during weekdays. Parking is cramped, but I've never had trouble finding parking.

Visited December 2012
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
“it was a nice stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

It was nice and big, not too crowded or anything, the resort was really nice. the staff was good too.

Visited December 2012
Blue Mounds, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nice little ski area, good ski deals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

we always have fun here, nice variety of hills and runs for this part of the country. There is a bar for afterwards to warm up, and they have rentals. I usually upgrade my gear by purchasing their old rentals which are usually a great deal.

Visited January 2013
Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“not a lot of runs and safety?????”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

There wasn't a lot of runs on this resort and a serious lack of proper sanitary facilities. A few overused portable toilets and two in the rental area, which huge lines and not the cleanest. For the amount of people I think this place would had been shut down anywhere in Europe, due to lack of proper sanitary facilities.
I was disgusted by that they didn't warn us that they had a race and thus had closed down 2/3 of the mountain. If one is not interested in snowboarding or a beginner there basically were no more than one run left to run. We paid 4 two day tickets and basically skied for 2 hours on the first day and second day we decided it was not worthwhile carrying the skis from the car to the mountain (hill), as there really were no where to run. With the two best slopes being closed there really wasn't anything to do for anyone not interested in terrain park or beginner slopes.
What a wast of our money and time!
Safety was another issue that one probably could write an entire review about. I was within 2 minutes run down twice while standing still. Once by a racer who from behind just ran over my ski's and didn't care to stop. Second time in line and a racer running straight into me stopping with a hockey stop ontop of my boots. My son was run down by a racer on the slow marked area on top of the mountain (probably the only slow marked area) who came out of nowhere from the woods and didn't care to stop.
We saw several racers running people without ski's down or little kids. We saw a child crashing and ski patrol skiing right past without stopping just looking. Only second time did they stop!
The mountain also sells alcohol and even in the morning of a sunday during church time guests are sipping bloody mary's and then go skiing. I think that pretty much sums up the safety code of this mountain. Drinking and driving is condoned!
To sum it up I don't think this resort is worth a visit again. Cascade mountain suddenly seem much more attractive after a wasted ski weekend.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Jukse
tyrol_13, Public Relations Manager at Tyrol Basin Ski & Snowboard Area, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I’m sorry you did not have the same experience as our other guests. Safety is a top priority at the resort. Not only do we have full maintenance and lift departments, we have over 80 National Ski Patrollers. The Patrollers not only monitor the slopes, but provide first aid and emergency care if needed, for free. You are correct that on specified event days we will close off a couple of runs out of 17 for a portion of the day. These occurrences, however, are published ahead of time on our website, and followed up with reminders on our Facebook page and our e-mail newsletter. On busy days, there will be lines. That is the case at any U.S. or European ski areas. Portable toilets are brought in when necessary for busy event weekends, in addition to the two restrooms in the rental area, one in Mountain Services, and two on each level of the chalet. We do offer alcohol to our guests age 21 and over that drink responsibly. This is also in line with millions of other businesses throughout the U.S. We do have “alcohol free” areas in the Chalet and the Café if you prefer not to sit in the bar.