“Great old tavern”

58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 472 helpful votes
“Great old tavern”
Reviewed October 18, 2010

If all small towns were like Monroe, Wisconsin, no one would live in big cities. It's like something out of the 60's. Baumgartner's is great, right on the courthouse square in a town that still has a thriving downtown.. A number of tables were occupied, so I sat at the bar to have a locally brewed Berhoff root beer and a salami, Limburger cheese, and onion sandwich on soft rye.. I'll bet none of you has had that combination before! Service was fast and friendly, the bill was under $7.

5 Thank hoogo

Annawan, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Love this place”
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Best place in the world to eat Limburger if you go to Monroe, WsS. besure to check it out.

2 Thank doncapes
Atlanta Ga.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Welcome to an institution !!!”
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Ah, Baumgartners, what can I say. This place holds special meaning for me as my father met my mother in here on a blind date.........67 years ago... Back then, you could still pitch money at the ceiling, only the floors had sawdust & the main wall was covered with a cross bow and two rather large matterhorns which were taken down and played during the Cheese Days festival. And what happens to all that money when the ceiling is full you say?
Once or twice a year they take most of it down and give it to charity leaving up a few 50s & hundreds to inspire the donors. I can still remember my old man bribing me with an ice cream cone and a comic book from Ruff's Confectionary not to tell my mother we stopped by Baumgartners for a couple of "boilermakers". I guess the place rubbed off because every time I am in town I have to stop by for a " Brat & a Beer"

2 Thank Bill_Volmary_2004
Monroe, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Dirty Place & BAD Food”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I was disappointed with my visit here. The food was expensive for what you got, and also bland and stale. The booth we sat in near the window was filthy, dead flies, stained wall, disgusting!

I had the limburger sandwich, what a mistake. There was a tiny slice of cheese on some old bread, served on wax paper. Give me a break!!!

The only bright spot/annoyance was the service. We were "bothered" constantly by several employees. I like good service, but the constant interruptions got to be annoying.

Skip this place, buy your cheese at Roth Kase, and eat somewhere else!

4 Thank wislakeman
Omaha, NE
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best Darn Tavern in the Midwest”
Reviewed January 5, 2009

From Omaha, Nebraska, I have been an annual visitor to Baumgartner's for the last ten years. I go for great food, great atmosphere and great tasting beer; and an occasional game of Euchre with my dad and brothers. What more could one ask for? Although it's been there under my nose for all these years, I just recently come to realize that their cheese store is the best in the area. Their prices are very competitive with other cheese outlets in the area (in many cases, better priced). And their cheeses taste great; none better that I have tried. Again I say, what more could one ask for?

2 Thank MisterBee_Omaha_NE