“Don't attempt this at home!”
Review of World Buffet

World Buffet
Ranked #34 of 44 Restaurants in Monona
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This is one of the most rewarding Chinese and American buffets I have been to. It would not be possible to give full consideration to the *many* dishes offered if you try to work through them all in one visit. And, you just know they really can't be made this well at home. (At least *I* can't.)

It's an easy choice for me when I want Chinese buffet; just come here. Some of my favorites include the Mongolian BBQ (ummm), the peanut-chicken and General Tso chicken (double-ummm), and the sushi (more-ummm). Since other reviewers have already listed their favorites, I will merely suggest that you always leave some room for the dessert. There is a 20-foot long dessert section that will keep you busy making up fancy combination desserts for some time to come.

The lunch buffet becomes the more pricey dinner buffet promptly at 3 pm. Get there early. You can reduce the cost of the relatively pricey (although it's justified) lunch buffet by getting "buffet to go" at about half the price of the dine-in buffet. Remember to confirm with your server that you are being charged the senior price (if you are in that category).

Don't try to do the buffet in one visit. Space your visits and enjoy the food. It'll be there next time. Hint: Keep a mental list and work your way down the offerings, or do a "theme eat." Like, spicy foods, today. Chicken stir-fry, another day. I have found the staff to be cordial every time I've been there. Thanks, folks.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Went with my family on a Sunday evening. Food was the least tasty of any Chinese Buffet I have encountered. The Hibachi grill was the only thing this restaurant had going for it. Items on the buffet were bland and replaced very slowly. Our server was so inept that we had to ask for our bill after waiting forever. I have paid a lot less money for Chinese Buffets twice as good.

1  Thank DonByle
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The only reason I'm not giving it 1 star is because the food isn't terrible. It's not particularly great, but it's definitely not bad either. It's difficult to find little places which have a lot of vegetarian options, but this one has a good few.
The first time I had a problem here at all was with their own coupon. They have stamp-cards for visits, free meal after a certain amount. I had accidentally put one stamp on a different card by mistake. They refused to honor these together. Even though it's really in the best interest of keeping their customer base, they really fight about any kind of discount unless it's exactly how they want it to be. Also, if you get a drink with your 'free' lunch, you have to pay for that too. Whatever, no big deal. But as I kept going there I kept noticing the service was worse and worse, as if everyone has just been getting comfortable with being more and more rude. They do what they are supposed to, but with dirty looks. If I smile and say yes, please, I get a dirty look and no response - no polite 'sure!' or really anything to acknowledge my being pleasant. You go to pay and are met by someone saying as little as possible to you as they can - other places people might ask how things were or even just say hi, not here. They don't initiate conversation and will say nothing the whole time if possible. If you say thank you, you are ignored in a very obvious way, creating an awkward silence. It's not just one person. I don't know why they want to be mean and rude to customers for no reason, but if they want people to stop coming there it's working.

1  Thank SomniumSmith
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Have visited about 20 times since 2010, with business associates and family for dinner buffet. Have not done the lunch buffet which has a different mix of selections.

Large selection including some sushi, pizza, american cuisine and of course many Chinese selections you would expect on a buffet. Food is normally kept warm. Visits after 8:45 [pm not recommended.

Caution - the only time someone in our party tried the Mongolian BBQ the person got very sick a couple of hours after eating.

Click on [MORE] below to format this review for easier reading.

Cleanliness .......................Very good.
Greeting............................ Always fast an courteous.
Order Taking by Server.... Mostly self-serve except drinks.
Order Accuracy...................N/A - self serve.
Food preparation time........ Buffet is usually kept well stocked EXCEPT after 8:45 at night.
Food quality and taste.........Very good.
Service overall.....................Very good; always friendly.
Portions:.............................. All you can eat.
Noise Level..........................Reasonable .
Prices:..................................Moderate.
Restrooms............................OK.
Customers:..........................Mix of mostly lower and middle class clientele.
Location: ............................ Near highway 12.
Ambiance:...........................Large seating area..