“Nice Place”

Dining options: Reservations
Michigan
“Nice Place”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We liked this restaurant. It is dated to be sure, but the ambiance is nice. More importantly, it struck me as much cleaner than many similar places. The food was not spectacular, but it was good and seemed fresh The value for the money seemed fair. The service was a little slow, but I think it was an attempt not to rush us. We arrived early and the place was not full. When we left it was packed, but they did not rush us out to turn over the table as many places will do. I would go back if in the area.

• Visited June 2014

Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“Downtown Delight”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Good food and better service. For the Friday fish fry, the perch is the best choice. Wish the potato pancakes were made fresh instead of frozen from a box. Steaks are average.

Visited June 2014
Chillicothe, Illinois
“Might have been decent 20 years ago.”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I recently went to Polecat and Lace with my family while on vacation. I would have rated terrible if it weren't for the drinks, the old fashion's were excellent. However the food is way overpriced. Our server was nice but she was obviously new and had to ask the man behind the bar almost every question we had. The owner? or manager? behind the bar was rushed and rude with us and her. We asked if the cheese curds were fresh or frozen and he very angrily said "Every place around here has frozen!". For how much you are going to pay here the quality of ingredients is very poor. The salad's are what you would expect back in 1990. Limp iceberg lettuce, a hot house tomato, limp thin red onion slices....yuck. If you are looking for any vegetables at all don't bother with this restaurant there are none on the menu. Their menu is mostly cheap white bread, decent meat, and heavy sauces. Some of my family had the fish fry, which was okay, but definitely do not get the potato pancakes! They are like McDonald's hashbrowns. Which was disappointing because when we are in Wisconsin my two favorite things are potato pancakes and cheese curds. There are MANY MANY better places to eat in Minocqua. I would not reccommend.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank K S
WI
“Resting on past laurels”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I know this place has a long history in town, but I think the bar has been raised and they have not kept up with the changes. I am all for tradition, but like all things you do have to adapt to the changes. I recently visited Polecat & Lace on a week night for a solo dinner. The place was relatively empty, but for a few tables and 2 couples at the bar. I ordered a martini thinking this is a no brainer. However, some kid made the drink with way too much Vermouth. I tasted my drink order and asked the owner to remake the drink. This time he got it right. If you are going to have an 18 year old mix drinks, especially at these prices, he should know. I do not have a problem with kids serving beer, but how can you mix drinks if you can not even drink it yourself. On top of that, they ran out of my premium liquor I requested. ????? So I hoped my experience would be much better, but again disappointed. I ordered the walleye with potato pancakes. The dinner came with apple sauce. cole slaw, and some bread. The walleye was not bad, but the potato pancakes looked like and tasted like McDonald's hash browns. So overall it was a poor experience especially with a $61 check.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank ChiKid60035
Bemidji
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food but pricey”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The food was good but I was very hungry and on the road for work. It came recommended by the hotel staff. I had one of the nightly specials. The service was fast and friendly (it was a quiet night) . Dinner was shaping up to be a good experience! Then came the bill. There were up charges for the salad dressing and the ice cream with the sliver of pie. Also wish I had asked how much a drink was!

Visited May 2014