“Had to wait a bit but,......”

Minocqua Brewing Co.
Ranked #3 of 56 Restaurants in Minocqua
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the heart of Northern Wisconsin’s lake country, the Minocqua Brewing Company is housed in an historic landmark building located on the island city’s north shore. Built in 1927 as a Masonic Temple, the building was transformed into a micro brewery and restaurant seventy years later. The brewery houses a seven and a half barrel system producing seven kinds of ales and lagers. The bar features a fine selection of wines, and cocktails, along with the skillfully crafted signature beer selections. The brewery's restaurant offers an interesting assortment of appetizers, sandwiches, soups, and salads with a gourmet twist.
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We started out traveling all the way to St. Germaine to Blink Bonnie's and were told that the wait was 1-1/2 hours (they don't take reservations)! So we came back to the Minocqua Brewing Company which we had eaten at a couple of times in the past. The place was buzzing and the hostess suggested we go upstairs to the second bar area to wait. That upstairs area I love! It is cozy with warm-toned floors and walls and yet it has windows all across the other, elevated area overlooking Lake Minocqua. So instead of sitting around waiting downstairs, you can go upstairs and enjoy one of their 'brews' or a specialty drink! Which we did! :0) The two bartenders up on the top floor were both friendly and attentive. We only had to wait about 1/2 hour for a table. The odd thing was that we ended up sitting at the table for a long time until I asked one of the other waitresses if she knew who was assigned to our table. The hostess came over immediately and apologized all over the place and then offered us a free specialty drink or a dessert. She really felt badly. A waitress did appear soon after and she, too, was super nice and apologetic. When our food arrived it was warm and tasty (I had a burger with mushrooms and those sweet potato fries that I love and my husband had a hamburger platter w/regular fries). And of course, we took advantage of the offer of a free drink/dessert. I ordered the grasshopper drink and was surprised at how HUGE it was! The green, mint ice cream so refreshing and was piled high into the margarita glass and under that was the crème de la mint. And, to top it all off was the decadent chocolate syrup...It was YUMMY but it was so big, I couldn't finish it!! My husband had the carrot cake with a dollop of ice cream and ate it pretty darn fast so I assumed it was pretty tasty! Will we go back? ABSOLUTELY! Once the error of having no waitress for us was realized, the hostess, waitress, and the bartender couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. We understand things like this can happen. With a mediocre owners in a mediocre restaurant our problem may not have been solved but we know these people will work hard towards pleasing the customer. We will definitely go back!

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This Brewery was not busy for dinner on a Wed. Night, but getting our food was very slow. There is a sign when you come inside that says "We are Not Fast Food" so true !
The service was fine & the food good. There is a rustic charm in the decor.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been here several times and have been disappointed only once with our meals. They are a little pricy for what it is, but the food is generally good. The craft beers they make are also pretty good. Their cheese soup is outstanding. On our most recent visit, I too was a little disappointed with the perch. For fish that is supposed to be fresh, I didn't think it was very good. Almost any fish fry in the Northwoods would be significantly better. However, this has been our only dinner that was a disappointment.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Minocqua Brewing menu seems to be mainly sandwiches. Fine for lunch, but expected more for dinner. None of the "specials" were appealing either. It was a chilly night and ordered HOT chocolate. Came out as luke warm at best. Food isn't anything to write home about--average at best. Restaurant is nice and overlooks the water. They could do so much more. Probably will not be back--go to Thirsty Whale!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stopped at the Minocqua Brewing Company on a Sunday evening while out in our boat on Lake Minocqua. If you're on the lake, you need to cross under the Bear Skin Trail bridge and head to the bay. The restaurant will be on your right. I believe there are three or four places to tie a boat. Since we entered from the boat slip, we had to walk through the restaurant (in our swimsuits) to get to the hostess stand for seating. She then took us back outside to the garden area to be seated. Our waitress was friendly and got our drinks right away. My husband tried one of their amber beers and enjoyed it. There were five in our group, including one child. He ordered off the kids menu which included typical choices like chicken fingers, french fries, etc.

The menu isn't huge. It includes a lot of sandwiches, burgers, and appetizers--typical food that you'd find at a brew pub. Three of us had the same sandwich--the pulled pork with gouda. It was good. I ordered the sweet potato fries (costs extra) and they were pretty delicious. My husband had the fried fish and said it was good too. The food isn't exceptional, but it's decent and we appreciate having a place we can boat to. I would eat there again without hesitation.