“Good place to dine”

Ranked #6 of 56 Restaurants in Minocqua
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the heart of Northern Wisconsin’s lake country, the Minocqua Brewing Company is housed in an historic landmark building located on the island city’s north shore. Built in 1927 as a Masonic Temple, the building was transformed into a micro brewery and restaurant seventy years later. The brewery houses a seven and a half barrel system producing seven kinds of ales and lagers. The bar features a fine selection of wines, and cocktails, along with the skillfully crafted signature beer selections. The brewery's restaurant offers an interesting assortment of appetizers, sandwiches, soups, and salads with a gourmet twist.
Geneva, Illinois
“Good place to dine”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been here several times and have been disappointed only once with our meals. They are a little pricy for what it is, but the food is generally good. The craft beers they make are also pretty good. Their cheese soup is outstanding. On our most recent visit, I too was a little disappointed with the perch. For fish that is supposed to be fresh, I didn't think it was very good. Almost any fish fry in the Northwoods would be significantly better. However, this has been our only dinner that was a disappointment.

Wisconsin
“Not as good as last time”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Minocqua Brewing menu seems to be mainly sandwiches. Fine for lunch, but expected more for dinner. None of the "specials" were appealing either. It was a chilly night and ordered HOT chocolate. Came out as luke warm at best. Food isn't anything to write home about--average at best. Restaurant is nice and overlooks the water. They could do so much more. Probably will not be back--go to Thirsty Whale!

• Visited July 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Decent food, outdoor seating and boat slips”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stopped at the Minocqua Brewing Company on a Sunday evening while out in our boat on Lake Minocqua. If you're on the lake, you need to cross under the Bear Skin Trail bridge and head to the bay. The restaurant will be on your right. I believe there are three or four places to tie a boat. Since we entered from the boat slip, we had to walk through the restaurant (in our swimsuits) to get to the hostess stand for seating. She then took us back outside to the garden area to be seated. Our waitress was friendly and got our drinks right away. My husband tried one of their amber beers and enjoyed it. There were five in our group, including one child. He ordered off the kids menu which included typical choices like chicken fingers, french fries, etc.

The menu isn't huge. It includes a lot of sandwiches, burgers, and appetizers--typical food that you'd find at a brew pub. Three of us had the same sandwich--the pulled pork with gouda. It was good. I ordered the sweet potato fries (costs extra) and they were pretty delicious. My husband had the fried fish and said it was good too. The food isn't exceptional, but it's decent and we appreciate having a place we can boat to. I would eat there again without hesitation.

Mexico City, Mexico
“very nice place”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

its a different place from the rest, when you eat there you feel you are where the locals go and you can have a taste of the North. There is a great variety of beers! and the waitresses are polite and nice young girls

Visited August 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Really?!?! You weren't that busy!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I ate at the bar. The bartender treated my like I was the last person on earth. I ordered Perch. It was WAY over cooked. I let him know in a nice way. He tried to tell me that Perch is tougher than other fish. Um. I am from Wisconsin. I have eaten Perch my whole life. Please don't pee down my neck and tell me it's raining. Anyway. I think that if he'd had ANY type of customer service skills or food training, he'd be a good guy. BUT. A free drink, or a gift certificate... would have satisfied me and I'd be quiet. I will be sharing this on EVERY review I can find. I don't like being snubbed.

• Visited August 2013
Douglas E, Manager at Minocqua Brewing Co., responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to our restaurant and brewpub. We always appreciate the feedback as we do our best to adjust and keep ourselves on top when it comes to local places to eat and drink.

While it may not seem as if we are that busy from the bar end of things, we have five waitresses who's cocktails we, as bartenders, are responsible for making. Partner that with trying to do food at the bar it's why we try and discourage it during our busy periods. If we were not timely with anything, we apologize!
We take great pride in our perch, merchanted locally. While we understand the temperament of the Lake Perch when cooking, it is a skin-on filet that will present itself much tougher when bitten into. The bartender thanked you for your opinion after you informed him that the flavor was "great" and also discounted your meal 25%, which was NOT mentioned, but noted on the bottom of the customer receipt, for the inconvenience and appreciation of expression your opinion. Again, we appreciate the critique and take every word from our customers to heart! We hope that we've gone out of our way to help with the situation!

Thank You!

Douglas Etten
Mgr. Minocqua Brewing Co.