“Another typical WI supper club”
Review of Kusek's Red Steer

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kusek's Red Steer
Ranked #32 of 56 Restaurants in Minocqua
Nekoosa, Wisconsin, United States
“Another typical WI supper club”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I can not say these place is the one to go if only one chance for dinner in the area. There is nothing special about it, typical supper club is the best I can describe it. The food was OK not superb. We ordered the artichoke dip with pita chips, the dip was like soup, hard to scoop with a flat piece of pita bread (only ten or so), when done with the pita bread, we still had more than half the dip considering to drink it? We asked for bread to be able to eat it. The entrees were OK, chicken marsala for my husband and scallops for me, the entrees took a long time but the restaurant was very busy and we were not in a hurry, so I don not consider it a negative. Then we ordered for dessert a brownie with ice cream, and we had to wonder if we got the "sample" brownie, because it could have double for a brick in time of need, I never had a worse brownie anywhere.
The waitress was nice and attentive, the food was expensive as typical in these places, so will we come back? No. An OK experience but not good enough for an encore.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Maria K

Chicago, Illinois
“Good Food -- Bad Management”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We've eaten at The Red Steer for 20+ years. Tonite was the first time we visited since the new management took over. Four of us walked in on a Sunday evening, and weren't surprised when we were told the wait would be ~45min. When saw tables for four that were vacant, but we weren't called, we were a bit irritated.
When we finally got a table, we ordered, and it took about 1/2 hr to get our salads. Just as I was finishing my salad, the waitress came back to the table and told me that they were out of walleye, and I would have to choose another entrée. IT TOOK YOU 40 MIN TO FIGURE OUT THAT YOU DIDN'T HAVE WHAT I ORDERED????

To be fair, the food was good, although a bit overpriced. The Red Steer has been a revolving door, in part because the building is owned by the neighboring Chevy dealership, and operators are not owners, and never know when the lease will be yanked. It doesn't make for long-term business strategy. We'll skip the Red Steer from now on.

• Visited July 2014
8 Thank kaubashine
Oak Park, Illinois
“Wisconsin Supper Club”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Charming and competent staff, Kathy is an efficient and talented bartender, and good food. Make reservations and enjoy a nice evening.

1 Thank Ellen M
Minocqua, Wisconsin
“Nice place to eat”
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

I have been here a few times with friends. A warm and welcoming place. The food is good and they have varied nightly specials. I eat out a lot. Jacobi's (my favorite), Chef Rene's at Timber Ridge (very good), but the Red Steer catches my eye for a meal just about weekly. Good value and service.

Visited June 2014
Boulder Junction, Wisconsin
“Great Meal with Good Friends”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

The Red Steer has been a Minocqua landmark for many decades. I remember this restaurant operated by Eddie Gerzine, who served some of the best steaks in the North. The Kusek's would make Eddie proud. We enjoyed steaks and seafood, fresh off the charcoal grill. Portion size was just right, and the taste, flavor, and quality were excellent. Salads, soup, sides, bread, and dessert all enhanced a great meal. Service was good - could have been more attentive for our tastes, but this is early in the game with new owners. The owners thanked us and asked for comments. Good energy, great food, gateway location as you enter town. We will be back.

• Visited June 2014