“Great Trip, great stay!”

The Waters of Minocqua
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Minocqua
Reviewed August 23, 2010

While this hotel is a bit pricey, it does have an indoor-outdoor waterpark with a very high (three story) body slide. It also has a recreation area with arcade and table games. Kids will not get bored.

This hotel has changed hands. We stayed here once a few years ago. It was OK then, but we notice that the hotel sees to be run better now. I don't know how happy the staff is, but they do their jobs and do them well. Our front desk clerk rarely smiled, but she was efficient. The lady in the gift shop was very helpful and nice.

The hotel is well-located for places to go and things to do. There is a horseback riding facility just to the south, and there are bait shops and fishing spots just a short hop away. There are pizza delivery restaurants very close by, and they are familiar with the hotel, so order away and expect prompt service.

There are woods abutting the rear of the hotel, and it is not unusual to see wildlife there. During our stay we saw an eagle fly right past our balcony. But the most romantic moment was our last night. As I lay in bed, the full moon cast an eerie glow across the area while a cool breeze blew across my face from the open patio door. As my eyelids closed I listened to the howl of two wolves calling to each other in the distance.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank norshore
SandLHospitality, Manager at The Waters of Minocqua, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2010

Dear valued guest norshore,

On behalf of our management team, thank you so much for taking a few minutes to share your positive experience at The Waters of Minocqua. S&L Hospitality has been operating The Waters of Minocqua since March, 2010, and have since incorporated several new training initiatives, hired a new General Manager, assembled a new sales team, as well as many other proactive efforts to increase overall guest satisfaction. We value our guests' feedback, and we appreciate that you have shared your positive experience and high ratings of our hotel with others. We hope to see you again soon.
Sincerely, Erin Ruppenthal, S&L Hospitality

Reviewed August 20, 2010

The hotel is very pretty, nice rooms & decor. I was most disappointed with the fitness room, it's in dire need of an upgrade! The room is tiny, old equipment and not much of it to begin with. No water provided either.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Staff is aloof and dismissive (especially at the front desk) The room is utilitarian but the bathroom is a real joke! It is so small that you can get claustrophobic! The door opens in to the toilet so you have to do acrobatics to get in the room. The layout is unusable. As my wife said "this was definitely not designed by a woman!" Getting ready for an event in this room was a true challenge. The event itself was a wedding reception at The Waters, where the food that was served was absolutely inedible. It was simply the worst food (prepared by the hotel staff) I have ever eaten at any event I have ever attended. Really!! The North Woods is lovely but the Waters is certainly not!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slamwolfman
SandLHospitality, Manager at The Waters of Minocqua, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize if you felt our guest service did not meet or exceed your expectations. We pride ourselves on our friendly and helpful guest service and will be addressing your concerns through additional training. Please allow me to clarify that the food was not prepared nor served by hotel staff, as we currently contract a local catering service for our events. It is critical to us that our guests are pleased with their entire experience, and we have addressed the issues with the caterer. Again, my sincere apologies that your experience wasn't a better one. We value your business and hope that you will give us another try.

Regards, Erin Ruppenthal, S&L Hospitality

Reviewed April 24, 2010

I am confused as to why others are unhappy with this property. We stayed 1 night, a Friday night, with our 3 young children and had a wonderful time! We stayed in a standard double queen room on the 3rd floor.
The Room:
The room was very clean. The balcony was very nice! The high vaulted ceilings were very nice. There was a mini refrigerator and mirco and coffee pot. There was a good supply of towels, which were actually soft! Plenty of lights in the room. There was a very good selection of tv stations. The bathroom in a little small and shutting the door is like doing an obstacle course, you have to practically stand in the bathtub to close it. The pillows were flat and there were only 2 on each bed. The water sounds from the rooms around us were very loud, whenever someone in the nearby rooms flushed their toilet or took a shower it sounded as if the water was running in our room. Besides that the rooms are very comfortable. I found the table and chairs and the sofa to be a nice touch!
The Waterpark:
It is small compared to what you find in The Dells, but if you keep in mind you are in Northern Wisconsin and not at The Wilderness in The Dells, it's very nice. There is a indoor/outdoor pool with basketball. 2 body waterslides (one fast and one slow), an indoor/outdoor hot tub, which is quite large and a very nice kiddie splash pool. The kiddie pool consisted of 4 water gysers, a turtle water spourter, a slippery beaver, a raindrop and an otter slide. The water was very warm. Our kids ages 4, 2 and 9 months all loved the pool! There is a "snack bar" that sells pizza, pretzels and drinks. A pizza is $12, a beer is $4.50 and a mixed drink is $6...pricey but you are paying for convenience. There were 2 life guards on duty, one at the top of the slides and one keeping a watch on the pools. Both were young girls, they were nice when we asked if our 4 year old could ride with an adult down the slide (can't do, must be 48 in and ride alone, FYI). I can imagine they get very bored sitting around all day, at one point we were the only people in the entire waterpark for about an hour, I really don't blame them for doing other things like reading a magazine.
Breakfast:
This is served in the lobby. It consisted of biscuits and gravy, coffee cake, bagels and toast, fruit, cereal and coffee/juice/milk. It was all good, not outstanding but good. It did not appear as though anyone was tending to the breakfast area, since there are limited tables I had to wipe off our table when we were done so another family could sit down. I found that a bit odd since everywhere on the property at any given time of day there were people cleaning windows and vacuuming.

I would definitely return to this property in a heartbeat! It was a steal of a deal at less than $70/night through Expedia! We had tons of fun and hope to go back soon since we live only an hour away, it's a good weekend getaway!

(I usually post pic but I forgot my camera this trip! Sorry!)

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minocqua
AmericInn Minocqua
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 7 in Minocqua
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rhinelander

Been to The Waters of Minocqua? Share your experiences!