“Nice Place”

EL Mez
Ranked #27 of 56 Restaurants in Minocqua
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Nice Place”
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Nice clean atmosphere. Nice compact luncheon menu. Service was good. Food was good. Employees were friendly. Well be back.

Salt Lake City, Utah
“El "Meh."”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was our first visit to El Mez, after many years of coming to Minocqua. The food was disappointing. The chips and salsa were nothing special. My husband ordered the guacamole, and it didn't improve the chips and salsa situation. In fact, it made that part of the meal that much more disappointing. A poorly made, but homemade guacamole would have been better than this. I think the guacamole came out of a container. It had no identifiable flavor that one would associate with guacamole. It did not taste like avocado. It did not have any spice. There were no onions, tomatoes, cumin, lime or anything else I typically put in guacamole. Save your money and skip that altogether. I had a burrito. The inside consisted of relatively flavorless ground beef. It would have been nice to have beans or even rice inside, particularly if they had a little more "punch." (Neither beans nor rice came with the dish, but those were not mentioned as part of the meal on the menu, so I cannot fault them for that.) The sauce was reminiscent of the mild hot sauce that comes out of packets that you get at fast food chains. I actually put the salsa that came with the chips and some of the table hot sauce on my burrito for some flavor. What was most disappointing about my dish was the presentation. Does anyone out there like warm lettuce? Does anyone like melted cheese? If you answered, "yes," to both, this is the place for you. I don't favor warm lettuce, and if you melt cheese on top of lettuce, that is what you get. It was not tasty and the consistency was not palatable. Overall, the burrito was a disappointment. What I tried of my husband's Carne Asada was okay. The refried beans were fine and the flank steak had more flavor than my dish. His evaluation: "I've had better." My son's chicken fingers looked like the frozen, heavily-processed variant of the popular children's dish. I know some of you will say, "What do you expect? It's northern Wisconsin." There are other ethnic and specialty food restaurants in town that carry off their fare more effectively, so I refuse to accept that as an excuse. In addition, if you can make tastier Mexican food from mixes and ingredients from the grocery store, that's definitely a sign. We wanted to like the place, and we thought the service was good. The food just didn't have what it takes. I don't think we will be returning.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Melissa_Limoncella
Jefferson, Wisconsin, United States
“Bland salsa”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Not as good as I remember from a year ago. The salsa that came with the free chips was like eating bland tomato sauce. No texture whatsoever. No spice at all. The chips were heavy and flavorless. I and the shrimp fajitas, which were good and the shrimp were well grilled and plentiful. At $14 it wasn't right to have to pay extra to get more than three tortillas, when the dish itself fills many more than that. The refried beans also had no texture. I do not like my food spicy, yet still found it all very bland. Disappointed.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kathy K
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
“It's fine”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Ample parking, nice location on Northside of Minocqua, ok ambience, outside seating and decent food. Ordered stuff pepper for lunch with bean, rice, and taco side. Only complaint was that it had virtually no spice to it and I specifically let staff know that I was looking for something with a kick. Medium sized portion which personally, I think is appropriate for lunch and modest price. In other words, if you eat here, you won't feel that you had a bad meal, but you won't come out smacking your lips and planning for you next visit either.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank TLV007
Gurnee, Illinois
“Not as good as we're use to”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We met some friends at El Mez for lunch. They told us they had been there several times and it was good. We are from the Chicago area and have a high standard when it comes to Mexican food. This restaurant did not meet our standards. I always judge a Mexican restaurant by it's guacamole. Good guac is not overly spicy and has chunks of avocado in it. Their guac seemed like it came out of jar, overly processed. I had an enchilada, my husband had a taco. They were okay. It seemed like their dinner menu had many combinations as choices. The lunch only had a few choices. I think they could use a "make your own combo" lunch choice. There aren't a lot of Mexican choices in the Northwoods. We'll keep looking.

• Visited June 2014