“Not my fist choice..”
Review of AmericInn Minocqua

AmericInn Minocqua
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Minocqua
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I recently stayed here for 2 nites. The first thing I noticed walking in to my room, it smelled like smoke. There was an empty toilet paper roll on the floor in the bathroom along with 2 bobby pins. So I was disgusted with that. Also, my sister had to kill a centipede by her bed. No lie. The air conditioner makes a loud ticking noice that kept me up, until I just turned it off. The breakfast was ok. The pool area is nice. They also have bikes to check out for free, which is great. The staff was friendly. So I guess the main concern would be the cleanliness of the room and the ticking air conditioner. My parents had the same issue in their room with AC.

• Stayed: July 2012
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at AmericInn Minocqua, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

I'm very sorry for the conditions you experienced in your room during your recent stay with us and offer my sincere apologies. I hope you were happy with the resolutions offered by our team when you reported this during you visit. We do everything we can to make it right for our guests as soon as we are made award that there is a problem. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your trust the next time you are in Minocqua.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Checked in for one night on 07/14/2012. The first thing that happens is the daytime receptionist tries to sell you a bar of SOAP so I am thinking, possibly there is no free soap here. This is not the case and I declined only to learn this was the least of our worries. The Americinn Minocqua is your typical, Up North, hotel. This means everything is exactly the way it was when they built it 50 years ago with few signs of any attempt to update the property. OK, admittedly there is free WIFI internet now, except that the Americinn internet was down for the 2 days we were there. Everyone on staff very sorry about it along with the excuses you might expect (someone else's fault). There is a nice indoor pool and even a pool table, yet the pool table has a sign on it, "OUT OF ORDER." Yikes! Other than that, there was no refridge in the dark, dingy, damp room, the "Manager On Duty" sign in the lobby is blank (no name listed), and the free breakfast was nothing to write home about including the fact that "free coffee" was gone by 8:45AM Sunday when we checked out. Surely an assistant manager ultimately refilled it, but we were not willing to speculate (and left). Take a pass on this one if possible. If this is Americinn then I want out. Positives: room and bathroom were clean. Bed comfortable. A/C and plumbing all working well.

Room Tip: Best Western across the street is way better.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 290markc
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at AmericInn Minocqua, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

I am truly sorry you had such a bad experience here during your recent visit, and hope you will accept my sincere apologies. I will use your review in discussions and training to improve our service and operation so other guests will have better stays here. Please don't allow this one incident to make you reluctant to stay at other AmericInns you may find during your travels. Please feel free to contact me directly at kenjacobs@zmchotels.com if you would like to discuss this further. Thank you for your visit and important feedback.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Arriving late at night without a reservation, the wonderful reception lady Rosie gave me a heck of a deal on a KING W/P Suite. Unfortunately the king sized bed had hairs in it possibly indicating that the sheets were never changed. So Disgusting!! I immediately lodged this complaint and she came and verified this seeing this for herself. I was then offered another room that we both inspected and that I was satisied with. She was so nice and sweet and seemed very sincere in her apology. It was a nice room with a beautiful location! The stay started out on a bad note but ended positvely. I must admit the ned was too hard though. Otherwise enjoyable.

Room Tip: Look at your bedding and the cleanliness!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Thanks for choosing us during your recent visit to Minocqua. I'm sorry about the conditions you found in your first room, and am glad that you were happy with resolutions offered by Rosie. I will share your review with the housekeeping team to emphasize the need for everyone to be diligent and pay attention to the details in every room, every day. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your trust the next time you are in our area.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

The front desk lady Rose was great, got us in very early and room was clean, loved it!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at AmericInn Minocqua, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Thank you for your recent visit and nice review. Rose is a superstar, and we are all inspired by her positive attitude and upbeat personality. I'll be sure that she receives the positive recognition she deserves for being mentioned here by you. I hope you will give us another chance to please you the next time you are in Minocqua.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have to say your staff is very nice, Jim and Rosie did their very best to be certain we were taken care of and that counts, but we experienced some diffuclty with the basics. Our bathroom was moldy the sink area smelled of mold and I sufferend the results of this in allergies all weekend. We also had a slow draining sink and trouble with our air on our second morning.

Growing up in the industry I try to be polite but some things are just essential to a good rating. Cleaniness is, of course, first and foremost. This hasn't been my first stay and I am afraid that the state of affairs is drifting below the line for acceptable. I probably won't stay with you again nor will I recommend that others do either. I wish the breakfast area and the staircases had at least not had dead bugs on railings and in floor crevaces by the walls and risers. At lease then I could attribute the problems to hard work else where. I just wonder what happened to the standards of the Americinn I visited when my sister's family still lived in Minocqua.

If you decide to hire and re-train your staff to keep what used to be best little secret in town in tip top shape let us know, otherwise we'll be staying elsewhere or camping...which might be cleaner.

Room Tip: Think about looking at your room before renting it.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at AmericInn Minocqua, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Thank you for your many stays, and for taking the time to post your comments about us. I'm truly sorry that you were unhappy with the cleanliness and conditions you found here, and will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation. Thanks, too, for acknowledging Rosie & Jim, and I will see that they get the recognition they deserve for being mentioned here by you. I hope you will consider giving us another chance to regain your respect and trust the next time you visit Minocqua.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding this past weekend. Room rates were very reasonable, so the whole wedding party chose to stay here. Room sizes were very nice, you didn't feel cramped or crowded, even when there were a few people inside a room doing last minute prep or getting ready.

Pro's: Breakfast was good, room size, pool was nice and heated and offered adult swim times between 10-midnight. Location was perfect, within walking distance of the downtown area, and everything was very clean. Ample parking spaces.

Con's: Room keys consistently did not work. Television was a bit old and outdated, stations didn't match up to what was on the card -- but who is there to watch TV anyways. Not all rooms were equipped with a fridge/microwave -- definitely ask for one of those right away. Entrance hallways got VERY buggy at night, hold your breath and run through the doors. THen again, it is the northwoods. :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KatieLynn24
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at AmericInn Minocqua, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking the time to write and share your comments. I'm sorry about the keys and televisions, we are working to fix the key system, and plan on replacing televisions soon. The new channel cards are being printed and will be in the rooms this week. Thank you for your understanding and "appreciation" of some aspects about life here the the north woods. I hope you and your friends will let us serve you again here soon.

Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

I must say that the rooms were phenomenal, very nice, comfortable, and spacious, furthermore the staff was the nicest I have come across in a long time...starting with Rosie at the front desk, Renate the head house keeper and finally Steve the General manager ... I WILL BE RETURNING .... THANK-YOU!!!

• Stayed: May 2012

Thank you very much for your recent visit, and for making your very first TA reveiw about your stay with us. Rosie's been with us 3 years in June, and inspires all of us to do our best, for every guest, every day. Renate's professionalism and experience continue to raise the bar for our housekeeping team, and our rooms and guests are the better because of her. Steve is terrific and leads by example. I will make sure that they all get the recognition they deserve for being mentioned here by you. We all look forward to serving you again here soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Minocqua
Best Western Plus Concord Inn
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rhinelander
Eagle River Inn & Resort
Eagle River Inn & Resort
#6 of 12 in Eagle River

Been to AmericInn Minocqua? Share your experiences!