“Not really impressed!”

Dining options: Reservations
Lodi, Wisconsin
“Not really impressed!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had heard good things about Mama's from several friends in the area so we thought we'd give a try. Being ex-restaurant staffers ourselves we seldom go out on Friday night. We chose a Thursday evening thinking it would be a tad more relaxing. We were seated almost immediately near a window. Right away it felt uncomfortable as we were packed in like sardines. It was fairly busy for a weeknight and it was difficult to hold a conversation. The service was good enough but we found the food to be average at best. I guess we were expecting traditional Italian cuisine and were dissapointed that it was'nt anything special. Glad we tried it but will probably never go back.

• Visited September 2011

Rothschild, Wisconsin
“great Ravioli”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is great place for Italian food. Ravioili was hand made and it was the best I have had in long time. service was great.We will came back here again.

Visited July 2012
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Our summertime tradition ruined!”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Our family has been coming to the Minocqua area for nearly 30 years. We love the peace and tranquility of the area and the people. We generally come to mamas on fridays for fish fry. but do to a minor medical mishap friday evening involving a fishing hook and my grandson, we stayed in and decided we would just come on Saturday. We didnt make reservations which is fine because we like to have a couple old fashions before dinner. We sat down near the entrance and ordered our first round and the bartender was interrupting us while ordering, saying is this your first time in a bar, or how could you not know what youll drink, he then says i know what i am going to have when i wake up in the morning. And that is minor compared to how he got while waiting around 40 minutes for our table. He verbally bashed my wife, my kids, and my grandchildren. I didnt realize it was so hard to exchange a dollar for quarters. With my previous law enforcement career I could tell plain as day he was highly intoxicated. Needless to say I only left him a buck for a tip which was about 99cents too much. We then got seated our waitress was nice but didnt really know what she was doing. But we got fed a mediocre meal and away from the barkeep. Must be a new chef. During dinner, we could hear yelling from the kitchen for waitresses to pick up food. (invest in some buzzers) Towards the end of dinner, majority of the waitstaff and bussers were clanging silverware and rolling linens ten feet away from our table and talking loudly. It seems they had no respect for us what so ever. It was a horrible experience and will not be returning!!!

2 Thank Richard J
Lac du Flambeau, Wisconsin
“First visit in many years”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

A visiting friend and family chose Mama's for their last night in town dinner and I was invited along. It has been years since I have been here; not much has changed, really. Still dark and in need of some renovations, but a table by the window looking at the lake brightens things up. I had spaghetti and meatballs which was pretty tasty, as was the bread. Service was wonderful. My main complaint here is the salad. Why is it some places just refuse to make a salad with anything other than iceburg lettuce, a wedge of semi-hard tomato and a single slice of cucumber? C'mon, folks...would a bit of romaine or leaf lettuces bust your budget?! Most likely will be awhile before I stop in again; so many other choices in and around Minocqua.

Joliet, Illinois
“Great place to eat and drink.”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We tried this place once before (about a year ago) and loved our dinner, this time we got to try the buffet and it was well worth the money. The veal both times was really good. Since it was buffet this time I tried other things and I was shocked on how much I really enjoyed the pizza. Next time I will order a veal dish and get a pizza to go.