“Wonderful dinner!!”
Review of Donahoe's Back Bay Cove - CLOSED

Donahoe's Back Bay Cove
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Beautiful scenic Northwoods located in the Timber Ridge Golf Complex off Hwy 51 in Minocqua. Daily Specials, Fine Dining in a Casual Atmosphere.
“Wonderful dinner!!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

There were 8 of us. Entrees included walleye , steak, lamb chops, pepper steak, beef & noodles, that I can remember. All were excellent! Georgia was our excellent and personable server.

2 Thank Bobbie N

ENDEAVOR
“Great service, view and food”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We went to Chef Rene's on a Weds evening. Walked in and were greeted by the bartender, asked if we would like to go in, we chose to have a drink at the bar. He was very friendly and very pleasant. Had Lamb Chops on special and my husband loves them, so he ordered them. We went in to dinner and immediately had a waiter at the table, name was Kyle, very polite nice young man. We ordered and received our salad right away. A delicious spinach salad. My husbands Chops were to "die for" he said. I had the Petite Filet, was done perfect. The view was beautiful! We felt it was one of our best dining experiences ever!! Lamb Chops were a special that night, not on menu. We would highly recommend Chef Rene's and will definitely go back!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank ROBERT R
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Not Worth the Time or Money”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

After reading great reviews and talking to locals, we went to this restaurant assured that the food would be great. We were very disappointed. Both the service and the food were lacking.

We sat outside, which was on the lake and pleasant. The wait staff was very slow in taking our drink order and in delivering the order, which was simply two beers. The order was filled incorrectly. After our order was taken, it took about 1/2 hour for the salad and bread to arrive. We emptied our beers before the entrée arrived, due to the long wait, but staff didn't notice.

The beef wellington special, which we were told would be medium, was blood rare, which was interesting since the menu advised that meat would not be served rare due to health concerns. The breading for the Wellington was rather hard -- this was my husband's meal and he barely touched it.

I ordered the breaded Walleye with a baked potato. It was fine. I am from Minnesota and can get this most anywhere. While it was okay, it wasn't the special meal that I thought it would be, and the prices were high.

The restaurant wasn't very busy, so I was surprised about the slow wait service. It really made no sense, unless this business is very disorganized.

There are many restaurants in the area, and they also have views of lakes and are more convenient to get to. It took 2 1/2 hours for us to have a dinner here, which prevented us from doing something else we had planned. On a weekend night or a busy night, I can understand. But I think this restaurant thinks it is far better than it is.

I would not return here again. There are many more options in the area.

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank Minneapolis_MNLegs
North Barrington, IL
“A Delicious Meal, with OK service”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

If you are looking for something other than "supper club" fare, this could be a place for you. While a little out of the way, it has a beautiful view of the lake. There is a selection of seafood, steaks and other specials. There are many large parties that frequent Chef Rene's, so a wait between courses seems to occur. While other's thought the service was excellent, we did not this time around. It seemed to be summer help that was more interested in chatting with each other than busing our table, refilling water without being asked, etc. Overall this is our favorite nicer dining spot in the Northwoods.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank teeitupbarrington
Marshfield
“Ribs with a view!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Wonderful restaurant with a great view of the lake. Service is excellent and food delicious, though not much on the vegetarian front. Need reservations, ask for the porch with a view. No reservations on Friday. I love the ribs and the perch.

• Visited July 2013