“Fine...for One Night”
Review of Quality Inn

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Minocqua
Reviewed July 21, 2012

To some extent you know what you're getting into when you choose to stay at a lower end chain in a rural area. Still, this particular Quality Inn is full of contrasts.

Pro: There is an indoor pool
Con: it's about 10x10 and a max of 54" deep

Pro: Nice decorating touches in public areas, like floral arrangements
Con: Empty can of Keystone Light stuck in one of the arrangements

Con: Hallways smelled like BO
Pro: Rooms smelled like Lysol (hey, it's better than BO,right?)

Pro: Its just yards from Paul Bunyan's restaurant
Con: it's just yards from Paul Bunyan's restaurant

We stayed here one night on the way to someplace else, and it was just fine for that. Rooms are clean, super dated (think medium oak furniture from the Miami Vice era), and comfortable enough. Staff is super friendly and there's free wifi. Longer than one night? I'd stay someplace where the halls didn't smell like armpits, but that's just me.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lovewine
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Don't book here-- there are not many nice hotels in this area, but this is one of the worst. Situated on a parking lot at a busy intersection, it is dirty and beat up. The personnel are friendly and helpful, but that alone can't make up for the lack of amenities or cleanliness.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I booked our hotel online through the Choice Hotel site since I am am Choice Rewards member. The hotel staff was very nice when we checked in. It was a little odd that we were put on the 2nd floor and told there weren't any rooms available on the first when we asked if that was an option, but yet, there were only a handful of cars in the parking lot. It was a pleasant surprise to have a bottle of water and a granola bar in the room with a nice note greeting me as a Choice Rewards member. The room was nice and it was clean. The bed was very soft, so if you're used to a firm mattress as I am, it is an adjustment. Breakfast was the basic continental, but it was good. I do agree with an earlier post that the 1.50 for the safe--that I didn't use, nor was I advised of until after my credit card was swiped, was disappointing. Apparently the hotel is paying for the installation of them by charging every guest for them. If I didn't use it, I shouldn't be charged, plain and simple. Otherwise, an average stay for the money spent.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My son and I stayed here at the Quality Inn on March 3 and 4. Planning to go snowmobiling (which we did) we found the trailmarking system to get in/out of town was terrible. Wouldn't stay here again for that reason. Not the hotels fault but they are listed on the trail maps and I think the management should rethink their choices of advertisements.
Hotel stay was all right. Pool was closed on Monday morning for repairs.
I made my reservation by phone to the motel directly and was given a price for the two nights. I checked my bill as I checked out and the room rates were the same. When I got home I looked at the bill again and I was charged $1.50 per night for the room safe. I was not told or asked ahead of time if I wanted the use of the safe. It is not fair to add these charges to a bill, especially if I was not told at the time of the reservation.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend during the Tomahawk motorcycle rallye. It wasn't the cleanest place I've ever stayed at. Dusty here and there, the maid didn't go out of her way to move anything when she vacuumed and you could see crumbs and what not where it was obvious she just did the basic job. The hot tub and pool were very nice and we had a lot of fun using those. The continental breakfast was the usual crap you get for free. Rubber hard boiled eggs, cereal, crappy bread for toast... whatta ya want for free ? However, the tiny little area you get to eat in is REALLY small. Only a couple of tables and if you get there when it's busy, you are bumping into everyone else. It was OK to stay here for the rallye, but we have been back to Minocqua and won't stay here again unless everything else is full.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights a Friday and Saturday. They were nice enough to let us into the room before check in time. The room had decent space and was clean . The motel promoted its free Wi-Fi in brochures and its road sign, but we could not get it to work in our room, the hall outside our room or the lobby. When we went to the desk to ask for help the desk clerk said that her computer was working and we should go to a nearby Burger King to use its Wi-Fi. That was the extent of her help and concern. The next day the Wi-Fi was working properly.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2011

The marquis on the sign reads "Formerly Comfort Inn" (apparently its now Quality Inn) which I agree with... "Formerly" for sure...there was no comfort! We booked last minute (so had little choice) and stayed there while we were visiting family. We had the worst sleep ever! The beds were horribly uncomfortable (my husband and I woke up with an aching back every morning) and the blanket that goes over the sheet only came up to my waist so neither of us slept well at all as we battled to stay warm. In addition, they have 16x16 pillows which we both found odd and uncomfortable. When I vacation, I'd like to feel like I'm on vacation and get a good night's rest but that didn't happen...I couldn't wait to get home to my own bed! Find other accommodations if you can!

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you want to wake up cranky!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minocqua
AmericInn Minocqua
#4 of 8 in Rhinelander
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#6 of 8 in Rhinelander

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!