“Traditional Pasty”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Rooster Cafe

Red Rooster Cafe
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Family owned cafe located in historical downtown Mineral Point. Serving fresh Cornish pasty daily for over 40 years. Breakfast served all day. We appreciate your business!
Rochester, Minnesota
“Traditional Pasty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We went here because of the pasties, which my wife and I both had. I'm sure the way they make the pasties here is more of the traditional way, which is still good, but kind of bland compared to the way they are made in the UP of Michigan were they are served with lots of gravy and spiced. My kids had breakfast and soup which were both good. The inside is the general cafe in a small town in cool looking old building. Prices were fair for what we got.

Cave Creek, Arizona
“Cornish food for lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We went with friends for lunch. Two of us had pasties - mine was an individual one and my friend had one out of a pie. The other two of us had reubens. This was my first pasty. I was surprised that it came with chili sauce. I guess that this is traditional, at least in WI. Mine was good. Really, there's not much much to it. A bit bland but good solid food for the miners of the past.

The reuben eaters were both impressed with their sandwiches. They came with homemade potato chips and "Bistro Sauce" for dipping. My husband thought the chips were just okay (some were soggy) but loved the sauce.

We shared a Figgie Hobbin for dessert. It's a super rich cinnamin raisin pastry covered in whipped cream. Half of it was plenty.

It's decorated right out of the 50's or maybe the 30's. The waitress was pleasant and it was fun trying some new foods.

• Visited October 2013
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Great place to try a pasty...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

If you are in downtown Mineral Point and the Japanese restaurant has a line out the door, check this place out! We got right in and didn't have to wait a minute. They serve New Glarus beer in the bottle and the decor is cute and old school. I'm not a pasty expert, but this one was good. My boyfriend absolutely LOVED IT and regrets not taking one home. I had the quiche of the day, which was one of the better quiches I've ever had at a restaurant - not dry at all. For our sides we chose the roasted acorn squash and the spinach salad with hard boiled egg and bacon dressing - both EXCELLENT. Brewery Creek Inn and Mineral Point Dining Co were closed on the day we were there and we would've probably gone to one of those, but this was a great alternative option. I recommend it for lunch. Good service, good food, reasonable prices.

• Visited October 2013
Waterloo, Iowa
“A pasty is now a thing of my past.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

This will be a mixed review. While visiting Crazy Frank's flea market we asked about a good spot for lunch. We were told to try the Red Rooster. When we walked in I thought the food must be good here as they haven't spent any time in the last 50 years fixing this place up. Not that the place was dirty it just looked like a time warp back to the 60s. The building is actually from the late 1800s but appears to have been updated to circa 1965. I was told they have excellent pasty's and having had just one disappointing one in my lifetime ( in Michigan's UP ) I was looking forward to a good one. Well, mine was almost as tasteless as the previous one. Maybe dry with a lack of seasoning is how they are supposed to be made. Now this will be my last. It was served with a bottle of Heinz Chili Sauce which was a tipoff that these things need help. Just not enough for me, I am afraid. Others may like this dish but they are not for me.
On the other hand my wife said her Reuben may have been the best she has ever had. So with that in mind I would say the food here is probably very good, just avoid the pasty. For dessert we had pecan pie and that was very good also.
I have no complaints on the service, it was adequate. The prices were not low for a small town diner actually a little on the high side but I am sure the summer tourist crowd helps this place do well.
All in all if you are looking for a place to eat the Red Rooster will certainly fit the bill. Just stick with something you know you will like.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank dennis k
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Pasty just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I went to this restaurant just for the Cornish pasty, a specialty of theirs. It was just OK. I've had better. The place is cute though. It's in an old 1800's bank building. The decorating is cute and the service good. Maybe something else would be find. I'm not from the area, so won't be back.

• Visited September 2013