“A old bank made into a Cafe”
Review of Red Rooster Cafe

Red Rooster Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Family owned cafe located in historical downtown Mineral Point. Serving fresh Cornish pasty daily for over 40 years. Breakfast served all day. We appreciate your business!
Fennimore, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A old bank made into a Cafe”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Food is great. Some for English people from across the pond.
Service is great. Beautiful high ceiling from an old bank.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Jim G

Arena, Wisconsin
“The Pasty is Tasty”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

DOS 07/21/2012: I'd been hearing about the Red Rooster for the last decade but hadn't stopped there until today. I ordered the Cornish Pasty, deep-dish style - not individual, and the Wilted Greens Salad. DH ordered the Pizzaburger with cheese curds. The restaurant was full with a crowd for lunch, and while the wait was a bit long, we took into account the large number of diners and it wasn't bad considering.

The Wilted Greens Salad was bagged mixed lettuce served with a sweet/sour bacon dressing - supposed to be hot, but wasn't, and some hard boiled egg. Overall, it was a tasty salad and I would order it again, despite the lack of warmth to the dressing. The Pasty arrived, garnished with a bit of parsley on the side. I ate half of it without chili sauce, and it could definitely stand on it's own. The Chili Sauce added another dimension to the Pasty, and I would have it again with the sauce if provided.

DH enjoyed his pizzaburger, though he'd never seen dill pickle slices served with one before. The cheese curds were a frozen, bagged variety - to be expected as not too many places make their own anymore.

DH ordered a Pepsi and I had the fresh-made lemonade, which was quite refreshing.

The friendly staff were wearing shirts with the slogan on the back, "There is always room for Figgy Hobbin". Sadly, neither DH nor myself had room for Figgy Hobbin, though I did want to try it - just means we have reason to go back again.

• Visited July 2012
Marietta, GA
“Pasty and Figgy Hobbin”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

When in a Cornish mining town, eat like a miner and order the meat pasty. Yes, it's a little dry, but it is representative of what was carried to work in the lead mines. The Figgy Hobbin (a dessert) could not have been "miner fare", it oozes with cinnamon and caramel and is topped off with whipped cream. It wouldn't travel well, and maybe it's a little too decadent for a mine worker in the 1800's - but we liked it just fine!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank TandemBikeRider
Blandinsville, Illinois, United States
“Great breakfast!”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My wife and I stopped by here as we were passing through. It was a weekday so it wasn't very busy, but we had great service and good food. Would like to stop in on the weekend as they have a historic interesting downtown. Many of the "Cornish" stone buildings!

1 Thank Dave H
Des Moines, IA
“There's always room for Figgy Hobbin!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

That's what the t-shirts of the wait staff say! And they're right. We came for the pasties...delicious! And saved room for the Figgy Hobbin. I'd never had this before...hadn't even heard of it! I wanted to try it for the name alone! It was delicious...served warm with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.

Visited June 2012