“excellent service and creativity”

Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub
Reserve with OpenTable
Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #180 of 1,520 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Historic Third Ward
Cross street: Water
Description: Hinterland...A new hub for contemporary American cuisine in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Executive Chef Dan Van Rite and Sous Chef Dan Turek, explore a multicultural approach to cooking and eating. Their journey to create bold flavors and uncommon pairings is a daily mission at Hinterland.In order to accomplish this sojourn, we've partnered with fisherman in Honolulu, Seattle and Portland, Maine. These partnerships allow our chefs to procure fresh fish as often as two times a day. Other relationships with small, local growers and ranchers allow us to provide our customers with extraordinary game as well as hand foraged mushrooms and heirloom produce. The result is a menu that evolves with every season and changes everyday.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“excellent service and creativity”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

There is always something unique on the menu which is nice and the service is always exceptional as the servers are very knowledgeable with ideas for beer pairings, etc. We also enjoy the lounge for happy hour specials on the small plates.

Visited October 2012

Sarasota, Florida
“Southerner now loves Turnips”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

They have a very quirky menu – and I suspect it changes often as they advertise its local and fresh. It was quite difficult to find something both of us would eat.

Things that were good: We had an order of Turnips as an appetizer. FULL DISCLOSURE - I am from the deep south and love turnip greens, but, to my recollection, I have never eaten an actual turnip. I have to give them 5 stars on that dish – it was fantastic. The service was great as well. Our server was helpful and engaging. He was delightful to chat with and learn about the city, as we were visiting.

Things that were adequate: for an appetizer, we had an order of Cheddar Summer Sausage. It tasted like the stuff you get from Pepperidge Farms – so it’s either “great “ or “terrible” depending on your opinion of that holiday staple. My companion had the hanger steak and appeared pleased but did not finish.

Things that were mediocre: I ordered a mushroom and spaetzle dish – it was bland and tasteless.

• Visited November 2012
PA
“Bad experience”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This restaurant has a very quirky menu that features supposedly fresh wild fish and meats. It was hard to find something that seemed appealing to anyone in our party of 4. However, the hanger steak looked safe so I ordered it medium hoping for medium rare as usual. It arrived completely rare with only the outer 1/8inch of the meat not red. I sent it back and tried it again. It was better but some parts were inedible as I could not chew through it. The greens were extremely bitter and overcooked. The few potatoes were minute. (the size of a grape). This very small offering cost $30.00

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank TravelorPa
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We expected so much more. I'd give the interior design and ambiance about an 8 out of 10, and service a 9. But, I'd rate the food and price much less than that ~ maybe a 3 to 5. The only thing I tasted that met my expectations was the OREGONZOLA SOUFFLE with beets, which was excellent. And, even though the restaurant wasn't all that busy for a Saturday night, the PAN SEARED COBIA with gnocchi was seared too long and was almost tasteless. It was supposed to be accompanied with a squash puree which simply didn't happen, but I didn't realize it until just now as I write this, and the waiter didn't even say anything about it! Our other entree was WOOD-FIRE GRILLED WHOLE RUSHING WATERS TROUT which was much better. All in all, given our high expectations, it was all a big disappointment, especially because we dropped $100 + tip on two beers, two appetizers, one salad, and two entrees. To top it off, parking was an additional $10.00! We definitely won't be going back any time soon.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank sydeee
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Very fresh and local cuisine innovatively prepared. Nice atmosphere. Robert is a great waiter. Ask for him and follow his recommendations

Visited October 2012