“For a "nice" meal”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2012

All of the food we had ( Raviolo, spinach salad and veal shanks ) were "nice". I guess I mean that everything was tasty, cheerfully presented but not really memorable. We accepted the waiter's recommendation for a cab/syrah mix with the veal although we were thinking more Pinot noir. Should have followed our own instincts. The restaurant is also very noisy. One thing is that the place is not pricey and the wine is reasonable by the bottle. We live on the other side of town so probably wouldn't travel back. Would return if I lived in the neighborhood.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I live in Milwaukee but visited Meritage for the first time last night. The food, service and atmosphere was outstanding. The mature waiter was so enthusiastic about the food you would have thought he was the chef. His wine recommendation was one of the less expensive ones and delicious. My husband and I split the beet salad which was excellent and the waiter brought it out on 2 plates which I didn't expect. My entree was grilled salmon and it was one of the best I have ever had. The presentation was lovely and it was cooked perfectly so it was moist, it had a dijon mustard sauce drizzled on the plate to add as much as you want that was delicious and an interesting salsa, too. All on a wonderful lentil salad. A nice portion. My friend had the pulled chicken BBQ inside a roasted onion and on top of roasted mashed potatoes. Excellent. My husband had the vegetarian special with 3 parts which he enjoyed. We shared the chocolate lovers dessert which was to die for. 3 layers with different kinds of chocolate. It was big enough for 3 to share, though we would have eaten a whole one if we had 3 pieces--fortunately we didn't! Dinner for 3 with 1 appetizer, 1 dessert, a bottle of wine and a perfect sized entree each came to $99 or $33 each (not including tip which I thought was very reasonable. Also, the chef and the sous chef each came out for a short time and talked with customer. Great all around.

1  Thank Eleanor H
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Our group went there the other night and it was one of those nights where all the stars must have been aligned in the Heavens....

First, it was a perfect night to eat outside on their patio - no bugs, no humidity - the cute strings of lights were on, etc. The waitress was wonderful - not too pushy, didn't ignore us , refilled glasses but didn't intrude on the convo, etc. One of the other staff members was kind enough to remember us from a previous occasion - months ago!

We struggled over the seasonal menu - in a good way. The apps, salads and mains were all incredible. The wine we chose was at a fair price as were the food items.

We skipped sweets as we had a hankering for the italien gelatto place directly across the street.

All in all a perfect night!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

The food was excellent and reasonably priced for such an upscale restaurant. Our waitress, Marie, was knowledgeable, fun and friendly and made our experience a memorable one. We will suggest this superb restaurant to all of our friends.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Several friends and various reviews here all pointed to Meritage being an excellent place, so on a recent visit to Milwaukee we gave it a try.

The backyard patio was a lovely spot to sit and made us feel like we were in a great place. Our waiter was enthusiastic but couldn't answer a question we had about a term on the menu relating to what we assumed was a commitment to farm sustainability. He said he'd ask but never returned with an answer. The menu indeed is creative, and we started by sharing the ricotta and egg yolk ravioli carbonara, which was presented as one large raviolo sprinkled with wild boar bacon and peas. The edges of the raviolo were tough. The flavors were OK. For our main courses, my husband ordered the pork chop and I ordered the bison kung pao salad. My husband's pork chop was literally raw on one side and overcooked to shoe leather on the other. He had to send it back. My salad was muted in flavor and the strips of bison were stringy and flavorless.

All in all, quite disappointing.

1  Thank Anne C