“Incredibly below average despite the prestige”
Review of Kiku Sushi

Kiku Sushi
Ranked #960 of 1,551 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My fiance and I were going to Milwauke for a mini vacation and I wanted to try some sushi. I settled on Kiku's after searching through several websites and got a $20 off a $40 order.

As I later discovered, least according to the signage posted on the windows and inside the place, Kiku was voted "Best of Milwaukee" for three years in a row and was voted one of the top 100 Asian restaurants in the US. For the life of me I can't understand why.

The booths have these towering backs, which I hate because they restrict you from getting a good view of the restaurant. Not that there was much that I really wanted to see. The decor was a bit weird.

I only had the sushi so I can only speak for the sushi. Because of the coupon I ordered different kinds of sushi. The tuna maki (my favorite) kind of tasted weird to me and the color looked off. The king crab roll tasted like bad imitation crab and couldn't finish it. They put avocado in their Philadelphia rolls (like some places do)---there was way too much of it and the avocado itself tasted awful. Didn't try the urchin roll because it looked disgusting and kind of made me ill just looking at it---never had it before, but it was this muddy brown color and nothing like the pictures I've seen of it. The tamago and the salmon nigiri and the cucumber maki were not spectacular, but not awful either. And the plate was decorated with this martini glass with some sort of decorative crunchy strings that kept falling into my sushi. The only real good thing about the meal was the smoothie (which Kiku is apparently known for) that I ordered for my drink.

Despite the numerous awards Kiku's sushi is almost as bad as the sushi you would get in a mall food court. Never will go there again.

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I come here about once a month for lunch. The bento boxes are a great value! Personally, I enjoy the shrimp tempura. Anytime I've visited all have enjoyed their food. The atmosphere is a little odd. Not sure what it is exactly. Also, I think there is an odd smell when you walk in. Overall a great place for lunch downtown.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I ate several meals while on business in Milwaukee. Of the meals over the several days, this was the most "average." I had a noodle bowl, so I cannot speak for the Sushi. My serving was enormous. But nothing to write home about.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

They are open til 2:00 a.m on weeknights. We went Thursday night at 11:30 after a show. The waiter was very nice. We had a coupon to try this place but were suppose to call ahead to use it. We hadn't, but he honored it anyways with a smile. The Sushi was delicious and fresh. We had the Dynamite roll and fried icecream for desert. I thought the price was fair and the Sushi was fabulous. This is the second time I've eaten there.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I purchased a Groupon for Kiku because I love sushi, and I'd never heard of or eaten at the restaurant before. I read the reviews and saw that nearly all of the reviewers mentioned horrible service, among other things. Knowing this, I let all of the guests in my party know - the food should be good, but don't have high expectations for the overall service. We were all pleasantly surprised. We were in and out in an hour and a half, which included drinks, appetizer, a plate of six rolls for our table to share and a dessert "compliments of the chef." The presentation of the food was wonderful, and it tasted amazing. The menu is huge (complete with photos of each dish), and the rolls were diverse - sea bass, deep fried rolls, etc. Overall, we were pleasantly surprised.