“Meh...”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We had lunch at Kiku, using a Groupon. The decor is nice enough but they seem overly proud to be a Shepherd Express Best of 2010 spot. A local award over a year old isn't really a good enough reason to require the staff to wear huge buttons exclaiming this since it's already plastered all over the walls & windows.

We had spring rolls (served hot, but seemed overpriced for four tiny rolls), a spicy tuna roll (not spicy at all), sweet potato roll, and Crazy Maki. These with two beers brought us to $40 which seemed a little steep for lunch hour, but maybe we're just used to great lunch specials at places. It seemed like everything was tempura battered, even things that weren't listed as such on the menu. I wish we'd asked before ordering but it seemed strange that each of the three types of fish in the Crazy Maki were fried. It makes me question the freshness if everything is battered & fried before being served.

We left full and didn't pay too much out of pocket, but I wouldn't return and definitely wouldn't pay full price. There are too many great sushi spots in the city to waste a trip out (one of our few baby-free meals in a year) at a mediocre restaurant.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

We had a Maki Godzilla plate and spicy tuna plate, and some hand rolls with tuna. The plates were gross, they use some nasty cream cheese in the rolls that surprisingly helped cover the snapper and salmon that was to say the least fresh, fresh out of lake Michigan I think... The tuna had rolls were not edible, the tuna was creamed or blended, not a whole piece of fish. The service was sub-par, location is fine if you want to shop at the ghetto mall and grab some garbage food.

I know it is probably my fault for choosing this place, but if you like the sushi here you have never had sushi in CA or Seattle... or any place for that matter, I have had better sushi in El Paso Texas!!!

1  Thank dsl82899
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Went with a large party for a family member's birthday. Food was really good. Everyone ordered all types of rolls, rice dishes, soups, etc. so I got to try a lot of their selection. Menu is HUGE with a lot of items! My favorites are the "seafood over rice" dish, their Udon noodle soup, Gyoza, and the Volcano Maki. Food is a bit pricey but portions are generous so it is worth it.

Service was weird. We had several different servers serve our food and the food did not come out all at once. One person's dish would come out, then 10 minutes later another dish would come out and so on. I suppose it was because we had a large party and having multiple servers did work out for us because then we didn't have to flag down one server when our table needed things. The atmosphere is a combination of different styles; (modern, asian, chic) it was all over the place. The manager was very nice. He even treated us to free drinks since it was a special occasion.

Definitely will go back for the food.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Watch out for the wasbasi sauce! I am not longer a sushi newbie! GREAT GREAT GREAT

Reviewed November 16, 2011

I'll keep it short, as everyone has already said what needed to be said:

I was in Wisconsin for a day and wanted to try the "best of 2010" sushi Milwaukee had to offer. I'm from Minnesota and have had some of the most amazing sushi in Minneapolis (Origami--better than San Fran sushi, not as good as NYC sushi), so know it can be done in the Midwest. The service was so terrible it was like an SNL skit. I'm not talking slow, which would have been okay. I'm talking rude verging on psychopathic. Also, an out of uniform worker (manager?) sat behind counter the whole time rubbing his nose and mouth with his hands, coughing, and making that sound my grandpa used to when he had a nose-full but didn't want to blow it. Finally, the sushi was neither fresh nor original, loosely rolled, and cut in big pieces. Part of the joy of eating sushi is its beauty. We tried four different rolls, and only the squid was remarkable. You couldn't pay me to eat here again.