“Lunch Worth Trying But Not The Best”
Review of Chez Jacques - CLOSED

Chez Jacques
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This touch of Paris in the heart of Milwaukee offers authentic breakfast, lunch and dinner entrees, using ingredients true to French customs and created fresh to each order. New Prix fixe three-course specials each evening for $24. Extensive French wine list, including organics. Available for private parties, catering, take-out.
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Four of us went to Chez Jacques today for a birthday lunch. We had a very pleasant lunch. Arriving just past noon we found the front dining room nearly empty on a Tuesday, which we found surprising, but nice for a long relaxing lunch. The room was nicely decorated in bistro style. The staff was quite friendly and attended to us fine, but again, they were not busy.

We started with the Champignons Farcis (stuffed mushrooms with spinach, feta cheese and garlic). We received a plate with 4 mushrooms about 1-1/2 to 2" each. I don't know what they put on them for a sauce, but they were probably the best stuffed mushrooms I have ever had, and definitely the highlight of the meal.

I only had the Onion Soup Granitee as I make a fantastic French onion soup at home and figured this would fill me up. It was good, but the soup flavor was not as good as mine. I didn't really like the flavor of their French bread (I tried a piece from one of our party). This I believe was the same bread in the soup, so it did not add a good flavor to the soup. The cheese seemed to be in one big lump under the thin French bread slices in the soup. I almost choked on it even though I tried very hard to cut it into smaller pieces. I much prefer two cheeses toasted on the top to give them extra flavor and be easier to divide into the soup. Not impressed.

One sister-in-law had ham and cheese crepes. She received a very long plate with two huge crepes on it, so she shared about 1/5 of one with me. The crepe had a very unusual flavor. It took me a few minutes to place it, then I realized it tasted like krumkake, a Norwegian waffle cookie made of flour, butter, eggs, sugar, cream and dusted with powdered sugar. While this would probably make a very tasty dessert crepe, the flavor was totally inappropriate for ham and cheese. It was OK, but definitely not good.

Another sister-in-law had an egg, ham, and cheese Croissant Sandwich. She said the croissant was a good typical croissant and she was pleased with her meal.

The last of our party had a Beet Salad with Walnuts and Roquefort. She loves it, as it is her usual when she eats here.

If you go out frequently and are not in search of the perfect meal, I would say this is a nice place to try. If you are looking for perfect French cuisine, go elsewhere.

1  Thank GourmetGail
There are newer reviews for Chez Jacques

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We have dined at Chez Jacques a few times, the last time with a party of nine people on a Friday evening. Being a frequent traveler to France, I appreciate being able to find authentic French food in Milwaukee. Our group ordered many of the entrees including chicken, salmon, steak, coquilles St. Jacques,... and it was all delicious. We tried the recommended wines on special and they were also superb. The service is typical of that in France - slow - because people there really savour their meals and conversations and are not in a hurry to leave. I appreciate that atmosphere which is difficult to find in other restaurants in the area. We were there several hours and they did not hurry us to leave though we were the last patrons.

2  Thank markandjulie
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Great brunch, great prices. The crepes are amazing!

1  Thank Dave P
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Chez Jacques is a refreshing break from the more traditional Milwaukee fare. The French food is excellent. We particularly enjoy a Sunday breakfast with their wonderful croissants and crepes. It is a little off the main restaurant area and is south on 1 st near Allen Bradley.

1  Thank TomM_Milw
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I've been to Chez Jaques twice for lunch and twice for dinner recently and found it thoroughly enjoyable every time. I enjoyed several crepes, the mussels, and the Couscous Aux Légumes. When I've gone to other French restaurants, I've found the food to be overly rich. At Jaques everything has come out of the kitchen fresh, tasty, and with a contemporary sensiblity. I've never been to France, but the restaurant has a nice casual romantic European vibe that I appreciate. It's among my favorites.

1  Thank dos_companeros