“So Bad We Had 2 Small Pizzas for 6 People and Had Leftovers”

California Pizza Kitchen
Ranked #525 of 1,543 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was really looking forward to trying the pizza here. I heard the crust was thin and crispy. Both the hand tossed and thin crust were about the same thickness, thin, but very soft, not at all crispy. And, the crust was flavorless, maybe slightly better than cardboard.

We only ordered 2 pizzas for 6 people which I thought would never be enough, especially when they came and were small with only 6 pieces per pizza. OK, you do the math. 12 pieces of pizza for 6 people and we had 2 left at the end. It was that bad! Two people each had only one slice, but didn't eat them.

Not only was the crust soft, almost soggy, but it was also chewy, like the dough was really tough. One pizza was the meat cravers. The meat was extremely greasy and tasted it. Yuck! The sauce had way too much pepper, leaving my mouth with no sauce flavor, only a burn from the pepper. The other pizza was the spicy chipotle chicken. Luckily it was no spicier than the meat cravers, but with the same no flavor bite. The corn and beans on the pizza were good, but the chicken was rubbery. I'd say the pizza was about 12" across, but the outer 2" had nothing on the crust. If you do the math of the area of a circle, that means 55% of the pizza had nothing on it.

We also ordered two orders of deep fried macaroni and cheese appetizers. They tasted old. The macaroni and cheese was hard and cold in the center. They were greasy, with the taste of old grease.

The atmosphere was nice. The waitress was nice. The price wasn't bad at about $13/pizza. But, I'd rather spend twice that and get something edible.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

What we ordered: cobb salad with beets, pear gorgonzola pizza, asian plum martini, and pepsi. The pizza here is creative but the taste is only OK. My martini was good. Service was good. We spent about $35.00. The place looks fine. If you're at the Bayshore mall, this is an OK place to eat. Nothing special though. Better service than the seafood place at Bayshore.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

This was our first visit to CPK. My husband and daughter had pizza and I had pork tacos. The service was good. We love Bayshore and will go to CPK again.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

This restaurant is one of three places to eat that I always visit when in Milwaukee, which is about once a month. The food is consistently pleasing. My favorite pizza is the Greek one with avocado instead of chicken. My only complaint is that two items that my family and I love have been taken off the menu - the Santa Fe pizza and sticky toffee pudding. I'm hoping they reappear soon. The thing that I like is that management really cares about your dining experience. If there is a problem, it is fixed and they give you a free dessert or something as a way of making it up to you. I had a problem with a pizza a few months back and didn't get an offer of something free, which was unusual. When I filled out an online survey (you have the opportunity to do this after each meal), I received a phone call from the manager and he sent me a certificate for a free entree. That's one reason that I love this chain of restaurants, but the first reason is the food. it's always great. I discovered California Pizza Kitchen restaurants in Washington, D. C. in the 90s and I've been visiting their restaurants in various cities around the country ever since then. Since I don't have one where I live, I make it a point to visit one when in another city because I know what to expect, great tasting food at reasonable prices.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

This place has almost priced themselves out of my reach! With three adults and three kids it ran us upwards of 80 bucks. For lunch that is a bit steep.

I do love their food though and I will go back just for that reason- good food, consistently is a win-win in my book.

Waitress was not always on top of drink refills and she got the order on one of the pizzas wrong, but we kept it because we didn't feel like waiting. They did not offer any $ off for it, which I think is a good thing to do if you mess up an order.