“unique place, decent food, good beers”
Review of Comet Cafe

Comet Cafe
Ranked #22 of 1,527 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American, Diner, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Kodiak, Alaska
“unique place, decent food, good beers”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Had to check this place out while I was visiting MKE. Overall it was just alright. Really not as amazing as the reviews make it sound.

Service: I sat at the bar, had decent service. It was my first time visiting this place or MKE and the guy behind the bar didn't really go out of his way to help me out.

Food: Better than your chain restaurants or most bar food. But it wasn't the most amazing meal I've had. I had their "famous" meatloaf sandwich. It was just alright. Not very much flavour to it, overall it was pretty bland and a little on the boring side. I also ordered their homemade cupcake and again nothing special.

Value: Just about average.

Atmosphere: Their vibe was about the best thing they had going for them. Cool decor in the building, definitely resembles a old school cafe.

Overall the Comet Cafe is probably worth checking out if you are in MKE. But it wasn't what I expected.

• Visited September 2013

Chicago vicinity
“Dive-ish atmosphere, good food but avoid the cupcakes!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went to the Comet Diner for a late breakfast/lunch. It was another restaurant that we saw on “Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.” This place was a dive diner hybrid. Before I say anything else that may be construed as negative I’ll jump to the important part- great food and darn good service! The place was packed! We had a 20 minute wait to sit at the bar, and another long wait while we waited for our food to be served. But apart from the waiting, which wasn’t too unreasonable given the size of the crowds , our only disappointment was that we sat right next to the cupcake display. From that vantage we were able to watch a parade of flies land on every cupcake that we otherwise would’ve had for desert. Trusting that the kitchen was better fly-proofed than the cupcake rack, we were able to enjoy our meals. My wife had French toast (cinnamon vanilla batter) and I got a spicy egg & chorizo breakfast wrap. And for the next visit we’ll sit away from the cupcake rack. The cupcakes were so good looking I can convince myself that no fly touched my particular selection. (There's a difference between seeing and knowing and not seeing and eating a tasty cupcake.) Service was, surprisingly, very good. I say "surprisingly" because normally the quality of service is inversely related to the average number of piercings per employee. Comet, though, proved to be an exception to that rule.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Eclectic place”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Heard rave reviews on meatloaf sandwich but wasn't thrilled with it. Not enough zing for my taste. Bloody Mary was good - but had unexpected flavor and veggies included olive.

• Visited August 2013
“Fun atmosphere, average food”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stopped in for lunch. Liked the atmosphere. Very busy. Tried the bacon Bloody Mary. Ended up pulling the bacon ... Too salty! Had meatloaf sandwich. The meatloaf seemed a little over cooked.

Rockford, Illinois
“Comet slowfood Cafe is great!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Comet Cafe "slowfood" --very busy restaurant, but well worth the wait for a table! They have a rather eccentric, eclectic, partially vegetarian menu, and the food is quite good. It was well worth the 20 minute wait for a table. It's busy and loud, but the food is so good! my co-worker had the Comet's Philly Cheese Steak with fries and I had the Cheddar Double-baked Potatoes. The food was very good!! very tasty. and people just keep coming into the place, there is a constant line up of folks waiting for a table and it is worth the wait -- I know I keep repeating it but that's the truth.