“Dive-ish atmosphere, good food but avoid the cupcakes!”
Review of Comet Cafe

Comet Cafe
Ranked #31 of 1,548 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American, Diner, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went to the Comet Diner for a late breakfast/lunch. It was another restaurant that we saw on “Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.” This place was a dive diner hybrid. Before I say anything else that may be construed as negative I’ll jump to the important part- great food and darn good service! The place was packed! We had a 20 minute wait to sit at the bar, and another long wait while we waited for our food to be served. But apart from the waiting, which wasn’t too unreasonable given the size of the crowds , our only disappointment was that we sat right next to the cupcake display. From that vantage we were able to watch a parade of flies land on every cupcake that we otherwise would’ve had for desert. Trusting that the kitchen was better fly-proofed than the cupcake rack, we were able to enjoy our meals. My wife had French toast (cinnamon vanilla batter) and I got a spicy egg & chorizo breakfast wrap. And for the next visit we’ll sit away from the cupcake rack. The cupcakes were so good looking I can convince myself that no fly touched my particular selection. (There's a difference between seeing and knowing and not seeing and eating a tasty cupcake.) Service was, surprisingly, very good. I say "surprisingly" because normally the quality of service is inversely related to the average number of piercings per employee. Comet, though, proved to be an exception to that rule.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Heard rave reviews on meatloaf sandwich but wasn't thrilled with it. Not enough zing for my taste. Bloody Mary was good - but had unexpected flavor and veggies included olive.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stopped in for lunch. Liked the atmosphere. Very busy. Tried the bacon Bloody Mary. Ended up pulling the bacon ... Too salty! Had meatloaf sandwich. The meatloaf seemed a little over cooked.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Comet Cafe "slowfood" --very busy restaurant, but well worth the wait for a table! They have a rather eccentric, eclectic, partially vegetarian menu, and the food is quite good. It was well worth the 20 minute wait for a table. It's busy and loud, but the food is so good! my co-worker had the Comet's Philly Cheese Steak with fries and I had the Cheddar Double-baked Potatoes. The food was very good!! very tasty. and people just keep coming into the place, there is a constant line up of folks waiting for a table and it is worth the wait -- I know I keep repeating it but that's the truth.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our last day in Milwaukee & we decided to have brunch at the Comet Cafe. A recommended spot if seen on Dinners & Dives. The 30 min. wait for a party of 5 was planned so bearable as our server was delight. The food was good even though not the best breakfast omelet I've ever had the Breakfast Burrito others in our party had was excellent. The Beermosa was a special treat I enjoyed (orange juice & beer mix) with a slice of orange. Overall a nice experience we were glad we had but the feeling of disorganization made the food wait seem even longer. I know sounds crazy but of all the establishments I've visited & the number of cities ....it explained it best. A small establishment needs a well organized plan to maintain quality with timely service. I would return . . . .for another experience.