WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Comet Cafe

Comet Cafe
Ranked #19 of 1,485 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Grill, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Wisconsin
“Very good food and service, college-like atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I am in my mid-forties so I was probably the oldest person in the place. I sat at the counter and ordered a meatloaf sandwich (photo attached). It was very tasty. The place was very busy and if you wanted to sit at a table with a group, it would probably be a good half hour or more. This is one of those places people like to linger. The staff does a good job of trying to keep things moving. The food service is rather quick.

Excellent beer selection and the desserts (cupcakes and home made pies) were absolutely fabulous. I couldn't eat at the restaurant but I brought some home for my family and they loved them.

I'd love to eat here again but I would not wait a half hour to sit down. If I'm in the neighborhood and can sit at the counter, I'm in.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing Thanksgiving Balls!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We went here with a group of 8. There weren't any tables that big -- it's a very small place! There is also no good place to stand while waiting; you're pretty much standing on top of diners. After an expected wait, they did manage to put us at tables next to each other, which was nice. I tried the meatloaf, and it was all right. Not bad, but it wasn't anything special either. Other family members did much better. The kids got mac and cheese, which was excellent and creamy. But what you really need to go for are the Thanksgiving Balls, aka AJ's Compact Turkey Dinner! My husband was kind enough to share one with me... These things are amazing! The stuffing/mashed potato base has a great blend of other Thanksgiving goodness, plenty of turkey too. And the gravy it's served in was rich and flavorful. My mouth is watering, just thinking about it. Overall, the dinner menu is very sparse... I've reviewed 3 of the 5 items on it. They do have a more extensive sandwich menu, but we didn't try any. I would go back just for Compact Turkey Dinner. We also go cupcakes to go. Like the meatloaf, they were also OK, but nothing super-special. The cupcakes were pricey, so I won't waste my money on them again. It will make more room for the turkey balls ;)

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
“Prepare to wait long..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Ever since its highlight on FoodNetwork, the place has been nonstop packed. I Tried going 3 differnt times and each time was at least a 45 minute wait.. plus trying to find a parking spot around there is insane. You're lucky if you find one within 3-4 blocks. They do not have a parking lot. I would say its time for them to expand and open another location.The food is alright (very different from a usual menu). And yes, when you walk in you have to go and search for a waiter so they can write your name on the waiting list (a tad bit inconvient) Also no waiting area. Time to expand please!

Visited March 2013
Surabaya, Indonesia
“Nice food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Since I have a very limited time, so I decided to have the meal to go. I really want to try the meatloaf and it taste good. The cupcake was really tempting but I decided not to buy. The place is crowded but the service is good.

Visited February 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great food but not for dieters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We have been twice for breakfast. On the weekends breakfast is served until 3pm. The bloody Mary's are very good. It is on our short list of places to go. When you go, know you will have to wait.