“Would stay here again!”

Ranked #28 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Escanaba
“Would stay here again!”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Last stayed here about 3 yrs ago when it was a Best Western and pet-friendly. However it is now Marriott-owned and is no longer pet-friendly. We like the convenient location so much though and the $109 rate for 2 queens is hard to beat,so we boarded our dog at home.
There must have been a staff change , since the last reviews as we experienced only friendly, helpful people. The Sunday cont'l breakfast was good and there is even an oatmeal station with various healthy dried fruits to add, along with fresh fruit, HB eggs,waffles,scrambled eggs, turkey ham, etc.
Self-Park at the covered Public Pkg at the end of the block on the left for $12/day. For inexpensive meals for families go to the food court on the 2nd floor of Grand Ave. Mall across the street.The Riverside Theater is only 2-3 blocks away and the Milwaukee Rep/Theater is a 5-6 block walk. Be sure to stroll the Riverwalk.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
anthony p, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Laura S,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review about our hotel. My staff is very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to our property. I couldn't agree more about your breakfast comments. We have lots of guests rave about how amazing their breakfast experience is when the visit our property. Also, you really can't beat the price when it's "Free".
We appreciate your business and hope to see you in the near future.

Kind regards,
Anthony Pittman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I usually stay at the Doubletree to earn points, but decided to give this hotel a chance. I booked with Expedia and was charged for the room. The hotel then charged my card again and put a $100 hold on it. A $99 King Bed quickly went to a $331(adding in taxes, valet parking, and $100 hold). In order to valet park you leave your car on the curb in a "no parking zone" and enter the hotel. The woman at the desk said "just leave it there". I am under the impression the valet company is a privately owned vendor since they have to walkie talkie someone to come get it. I checked into my room and 20 min later my car was still sitting on the curb waiting for valet. I asked the front desk if she could kindly call me a cab- I was late for a wedding and her response was..."UGGGGH". Then she told me that "cabs dont like to drive in the snow". I was so upset I grabbed my boots and wedding present and had to walk in the freezing cold to a wedding. The room was clean and quiet- if that makes up for anything. The breakfast was ok- until I poored spoiled milk into my cereal. Therefore, this hotel has left a rotten taste in my mouth!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank BrianneB3
anthony p, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Briana B,

I would like to apologize to on behalf of the entire hotel staff for the service that was provided to you during your recent visit to our property. I have shared your comments with my team members. I would love to speak with you to discuss your concerns further. Please feel free to contact me.

414.224.8400 ext 5112
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown this weekend and had an interesting experience. The hotel itself was nice and clean- newly decorated and in a good location downtown Milwaukee. Unfortunately, the staff was not something to be complimented. My fiance and cousin got stuck in one of the elevators for over an hour and after calling down to the front desk to speak to a manager about their elevator entrapment- we were dismissed by the front desk worker and told that "there wasn't anyone cool enough for us to talk to" and she said that someone would call us the next day- I am assuming the "cool" person was a manager- but can't be sure. That never happened- no one ever called us back. After a harrowing experience like that- the least they could have done was show some sort of sympathy and ask if there was anything they could have done to improve our stay. But they did not- and this left us with a bad taste in our mouth- as well as avoiding the elevator! This was made worse by the fact that they overcharged our room for the parking- more than double, and have been very difficult to get a manager to call us back about the overcharges. Overall, it seemed like the staff had no idea what they were doing and did not have any focus on customer service. We frequent Milwaukee often with many groups of my family and we will be telling everyone to avoid this hotel in the future. The unprofessional staff have really hurt what could have been a nice stay at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Jordan R
anthony p, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Jordan R,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced during your recent visit to our property. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

anthony.pittman@marriott.com
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel several times in December. My husband and I used it as an overnight getaway since it was close to the pabst theater. The rooms were very clean and had nice views looking down onto grand ave.. The next time we stayed, we used the Potawatomi shuttle . It was easy and convenient. Again , our room was very clean. Breakfast was good in the morning. The first stay, the hotel Seemed pretty quiet so breakfast was kept up on by staff. The second time, there were lines of people waiting for breakfast and not enough tables. There was one very kind man working the breakfast area all by himself. Garbages were full, and so people were just leaving it laying around Making the poor gentleman run around to keep up. The thing that really helps this hotel is the proximity to key downtown places. We walked to the pfister for tea, and were able to walk to the Bradley center for a bucks game. I was really happy with this hotel. Rooms were quiet, beds comfortable, good breakfast, and great location. My only complaint is that more staff should be put on weekends to keep up on the breakfast rush. I would recommend this hotel to anyone !

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa1233,

We would like to thank you for taking time out to write this review. I'm sorry to hear that our breakfast staff was not as efficient as usual. This is not the normal service that we provide to our guests and I have shared your feedback with our team members. Thanks for visiting our property and we look forward to having you visit us in the future.

Gladstone, Michigan
Reviewed February 10, 2014

The hotel is definitely close to everything downtown. Across from a mall and within walking distance from may restaurants and the Bradley Center. Room was small, but nice and the place was updated. We had issues with the fire alarms going off during the night which was due to a broken pipe (because of cold temperatures). The staff made sure we were taken care of. Breakfast in the morning was very good also. Parking is on the other side of the block which was kind of hard in the winter, but not too bad.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer P
anthony p, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Jennifer P,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced during your recent visit to our property. Our hotel did experience a challenge due to the frigid weather which caused one of our water main pipes to break. For the safety of our guests we needed to have the fire department come out to reset our sprinkler system and close off certain water valves. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Kind regards,
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 8, 2014

When people say "newly renovated" I'm never sure if I'm getting new paint and a retro-fitted tub or a quality renovation. Happily, this hotel must have been gutted because everything including the bathroom tile and tub looks brand new. The building was an old office building and is very small but also extremely nice, modern and frankly very inexpensive. Even though the rooms are small they are uncluttered and the furniture manages to have lots of convenient storage cubbies and workspace without getting in the way. nicely done, Marriott. Love the old mail chute and ceiling at the elevator bank too, adorable. Beds extremely comfy. Heat a little noisy but typical for most hotels in my opinion.

Room Tip: Corner rooms provide more windows and better views. Windows are very large. There seem to be plent...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear tlatte,

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our property and we look forward to having you visit our property in the future.

Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Arrived after a concert at the Bradley Center, around 11, with my 13 year old daughter. Upon check in, was told Valet service was done for the night, so I had to leave my daughter with the luggage and park in a ramp down the block, alone, and walk back. Not cool.

Finally got to bed, and about 2:15 a.m. the fire alarm goes off. We jumped out of bed, down 10 flights of stairs into the lobby. Talking with other guests who said this wasn't the first time even TODAY that the alarms had gone off and the fire department had shown up. One guest said it had been going on while she checked in. Another family who had been staying there for 2 days said this was the FOURTH time since they had checked in. Milwaukee Fire Department response time was impressive, and we were released to go back to our rooms about 1/2 hour later. We got up to our room, fire alarm strobe light in our room was still going off. And continued to flash for another 1/2 hour. Then when they figured that out, the fire alarm beeping in our room continued for another 1/2 hour. I called down to the front desk and the desk clerk said he was "working on it", so I'm not sure if it was a matter of his not having the proper knowledge to shut it off or what the deal was. I would have liked one of the managers to get out of his/her bed and come attend to this, as none of us in the hotel were getting any sleep, why should s/he? I had to be up before 7 a.m. for a 3 hour drive back home on next to zero sleep.

The next morning, I saw the manager and asked to have the Marriott rewards points put back on to our account. Not sure how long that will take, but it had best be a full refund,

On the plus side, the beds were some of the best I've slept in in any hotel. And the room/hotel was clean.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank MamaParrotHead
Dear MamaparrotHead,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

anthony.pittman@marriott.com