“Very good location”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #23 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed July 14, 2013

common areas and rooms are renovated and have a modern look that I really liked. However rooms are really tiny, it reminds me Tokyo's hotels.

Best of all is location, you are at walking distance of main attractions in downtown, specially some nice pubs and small breweries.

They don't have own parking but you can use a public parking just front of the hotel $12/day, however is not hourly, so if you leave and back the same day you have to pay $12 again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neonitro72

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel was recently reopened as a Fairfield Inn and Suites. It had been a Best Western
Hotel. Evidently there was a lot of renovation that needed to take place throughout the building.

The hotel is in a relatively small building, although it is 12 stores. Each floor has less than 12 rooms. The largest rooms would be comparable to standard rooms in other hotels. The small
rooms are really small. I've stayed a new-build Fairfield Inn and Suites and this remodel in much less inviting than the new hotels. The lobby area, for example, is relatively small. The
hotel does have the great Marriott beds and linens. The bathrooms feel more updated than the rooms. The textured ceilings and wall plaster seem very dated. The mid-grade furniture
is less impressive than the newly built Fairfields. My first room was so small (with a half-window
of frosted chicken wire glass) that it was too uncomfortable to spend the night. I asked for and
received a room at the front of the hotel, Definitely ask for a room overlooking Third Street,
which is where the front rooms of the hotel are located.

I think anyone who has stayed at one of the newly constructed Fairfield Inn and Suites will be
disappointed with this hotel.

Good things about the hotel:
-friendly desk staff, although they were under a lot of pressure because housekeeping was
not able to clean the rooms efficiently enough. There were still people waiting for rooms at
5:00 PM.
-very satisfying breakfast, although the small breakfast area does get crowded.
-the location is great, right in the heart of downtown Milwaukee and close to all the entertain-
ment venues, restaurants, etc.
-great bed and linens

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room in the front of the hotel, overlooking 3rd Street.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed here over Fourth of July weekend. Hotel is in a decent location downtown, and the amenities were good. I read about people raving about the free breakfast, but I found the offerings to be quite average (bacon, scrambeled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, etc). The hotel is pretty much brand new, and the service reflects that. First, it took 3 attempts for the receptionist to program our keycards. By 3 times, I'm talking about us having to go up to our room three times to find out that they key wasn't working. At the last time, another receptionist came with us and said that the other receptionist is new, and she may have programmed it wrong. Our stay was fine (we didn't spend much time in the hotel). When I got home in Chicago, I realized that I left my car keys at the hotel. Called the receptionist at the hotel, and she said yes we have it, the housekeeper logged it, but for some reason they forgot to call us to let us know. (We stayed in Milwaukee till after midnight, so we could have easily stopped by to go get it) They do have our number too because my friend is a platinum member, so they called him the morning before we arrived to ask for room preferences. The receptionist was very sympathetic and handled it professionally, but ultimately she had no power to do anything, so she said the manager will call me in the morning. Well, the manager never called, so I had to call back, and she said I'm actually not a manager, and the building manager will be here on Monday, so she transfered me to his voicemail. I doubt I'll hear anything useful from them. I ended up having to take a roundtrip bus to Milwaukee on that same day to get my keys. A little courtesy goes a long way. A car key is not a phone charger; I'm just baffled at why they did not call eventhough they logged that they found a car key, and the salt on the wounds is that they called us the morning before to ask for our room preference but not to tell us that we forgot something as important as a car key.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Marriott took a very old historic hotel in Milwaukee, kept elements of the former building, added a "hip" vibe and reopened it around March 2013. Had a 2 queen bed corner room with windows facing both ways on a top floor and was able to see July 4th fireworks from about 12 locations around Milwaukee, Very nice. This is a great location on Old World 3rd St. with restaurants, piano bar, riverwalk, Summerfest grounds, museums, theaters, 3rd Ward District, shops etc. all walkable. Being new the furnishings and bedding were fantastic. Self parking is on a surface lot just 2 buildings down and it is 24 hour monitored. You can park in front of the building to load and unload. The breakfast is quite good, but it will close by 9 am even on holidays and weekends. This results in loads of people bunching up in the dining area about 8:40. I'm not sure why they don't extend the dining to 9:30 or 10 am as most other hotel's do??? The only reason I'm not giving a 5 star is because I felt the evening security level should be a little tighter in an urban setting. Let me be clear in that I felt very safe walking the area at night, lots of other people around etc. That being said I do think there should be key access into the hotel after 10 pm, or at least the elevators to the floors should require keys after that hour. I came and went at midnight and 1 am without any required additional security check. There was no security guard around either, just the woman at the front desk. As I said, I was never really concerned in the building or on the street about my safety, but I do think urban hotels should control who is getting onto the floors after a certain time in the evening.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yes2travel
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed 2 night for a trip to Summerfest and a Brewers game. Great location for both events. Free shuttle available within 3 blocks of hotel which ran all day and night about very 20-30 minutes. A very short drive to Miller Park too. We walked along Waters Street to the Third Ward District and had lunch at The Wicked Hop. Best Bloody Mary's Cool shopping in this area. Hotel is across the street from the mall and many other great bars and restaurants. This hotel is brand new so it's stylish with a good workout room. The only bummer is there is no pool. Kids love hotel pools so we may not return again only because of that. The staff was friendly and the free breakfast was the standard stuff but the fruit was very fresh and everything was stocked as soon as it was low. Nice sheets and pillows.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here last week during Summerfest. The hotel was nicer than expected and looks to have been recently rehabbed. Location seemed pretty decent, we could walk to the Summerfest grounds. Area seemed a little shady late night, but that goes anywhere. Room was very clean albeit quite small, nice Paul Mitchell toiletries.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This cool new Fairfield Inn in a historic downtown building has a comfortable industrial feel which is appropriate for Milwaukee. Rooms are not large but our King was very comfortable for our three-night stay. Staff at front desk is professional, friendly and helpful. The girl at check in cheerfully escorted us to several other options when we were not thrilled with our initial room assignment. The free hot breakfast buffet exceeded expectations even for Platinum Marriott customer. Self parking is at a secure attended surface lot at the end of the block--no worries.

The location is very convenient for convention center and Bradley Center events. There is a food court across the street on third floor of Grand Avenue which bustles at lunch time. That and Boston Store are some of the few remaining bright spots in this formerly vibrant urban mall . Plenty of good restaurants abound in the city. It is about a mile to the lakefront museums and festival grounds and less to Third Ward--very walk-able in season.

Room Tip: Corner rooms ending in 08 are bright if you prefer two beds. Suites are not ideally located in dark...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple