Best Western Plus Milwaukee Airport Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #25 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
“From Bad to Worse”
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed at this Best Western for it's Park & Fly. We had reward points so we used them for this stay. Check in was quick, Nate was at the front desk, personable and helpful. We had dinner in the Lake City Restaurant. Food and Service were both good. Beautiful dining room. The hotel is older, nice pool area. Empty snack vending machines. on a Friday night of a holiday weekend. Uhm. The rooms are nicely appointed and things seemed fine.
After dinner we went to bed, the bed was comfortable, but I was not. Around midnight I got up. To find a big bug with pinchers had been crawling around the bed, I'm guessing it was causing my discomfort. I was so creeped out. Didn't wake up husband, he was exhausted. So I decide to get bug into a plastic wrapper to show hotel management in the morning. I felt buggy so I took a bath. As I sit down in the tub, there are pieces of a what seemed like thin white plastic. They were everywhere sticking to my skin. Now I really had the creepy crawlies. I retreated from the tub, scooped out some of these white pieces. Got dressed and took the bug, the white stuff and went to the front desk. I was not a happy guest.
The two people working could do very little but understood sleeping was no longer an option. I had a couple hours before we had to get up to catch our flight. They gave me a key to the room next door so I could watch TV and shower. Later my husband determined the white plastic substance was the enamel from the tub it was coming off all over the tub. This should have been evident to housekeeping.
When we checked out, the front desk told me they couldn't make any reimbursment decisions. They had to wait for the manager who would be in later. After our flight arrived in Ft. Meyers FL I called and was offered a $30 refund. We used points. Eventually, this so called manager reversed the charges for the points. So we got our 16,000 pts back and no further apology or interest was demonstrated by this woman.
Upon our return we had to call to be picked up at the ariport to retrieve our vehicle. I was told they come to the airport every half hour. NOT TRUE.! I called at 2:15 p.m. expecting the 2:30 shuttle. No shuttle. I was told 2:55 p.m. at 3:10 p.m. I called again. I am told by that person they don't know where the shuttle is. Finally it shows up. Nearly an hour wait to go a few blocks. They have two vans and a small bus for shuttling.
We arrive back at the hotel and I ask to speak to the manager. I told her who I was and I could tell she didn't even remember me from the events 4 days before. Made me wonder if upset customers were common as well as bugs. I was told the shuttle was hauling cargo. This was somehow relevant to us standing outside at the airport waiting. They had more than one vehicle and the shuttle that picked us up had 2 employees on it. When I asked about every half hour service, I was told it's true when it's possible. I couldn't believe a manager was saying this. No apologies.
My husband is a diamond member of their rewards program. Never has a BW treated him or us so badly. The irony is we live here, and typically would not have ever used this hotel. We had an early flight and they had park and fly. It was just a conveinent option. We should have stayed at home and parked at the ariport. Never again would I stay at this hotel. It's unfortunate the management is so disconnected from the concept of customer service. Proper handling of these situations could have resulted in a better outcome for everyone. Apparently satisfied customers is not one of this hotels goals.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda E
BestwesternPLUS, General Manager at Best Western Plus Milwaukee Airport Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
First I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your satisfactory experience. I am reviewing your comments with our staff to use this as a learning tool so no other guest will have the same unsatisfactory experience. We have address all your concerns and have taken corrective actions.

Orkin is our pest control company and treats our hotel monthly and after your comments we had them inspect and spray the room. Your tub had recently been resurfaced and there was a problem with the resurfacing process and we have had the contractor back in to redo the tubs.

We want to thank you for your comments and also for being a Rewards member.

Mark Johnson
Vice President/General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We were a little worried while walking down the halls. The carpet was old and walls were badly in need of painting, but fortunately our room looked much better. It was clean, had comfortable beds, and had a mini-fridge and microwave. Our room overlooked the pool, so we heard every scream and yell from that area even over the TV. The fitness center was two older treadmils, an ellyptical, and an all-in-one crammed into a tiny room. We were delighted to go to a beautiful restaurant for the breakfast buffet. Unfortunately, even my teenage boys wouldn't eat the tasteless food served, though. It was like bad hospital food served with cloth napkins. The eggs were from a carton with no seasoning and the waffles tasted terrible even with syrup and butter on them. The orange juice was more like watered down Tang. I just want to warn people so they can have an alternative plan. If we ever returned I would request a room with an outdoor view and just sleep through breakfast or plan to go to another restaurant.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Clinton, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 2, 2010

We got to the room and the first thing that happened was "hidden charges". It was an extra $10.00 a night for incidental charges. I don't mind paying that but they really need to disclose that beforehand. The whole hotel is in desperate need of an upgrade. The walls are dingy, carpet is seriously outdated, and the it just has an "icky" feel to it. The room is nice but was not the cleanest I have ever stayed in. The remote for the TV didn't work right. We called the front desk and they were going to send someone up....we never say anyone. We went down to use the pool and hotub. The pool was nice but the hot tub was scalding. Again, we told this to the front desk....there response was...."Well the maintenance man lives really far away". Nothing was done about that either. For the price they charge per night (we got a deal on the room)...it is definately NOT worth it. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
WI
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Worked great for Prak and ride, good value. No spots in the park and ride lot, so we had to park next to the hotel. The beds were comfortable, room was clean and we enjoyed a short dip in the pool - nice big poolside area. We left before the free breakfast but enjoyed coffee oranges and granola bars. Shuttle arrived when promised, 5 minutes after we called. Only ten minutes (tops) from the airport. Staff were friendly and helpful- our shuttle driver turned down a tip!

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed March 14, 2010

This property is older, but well updated. The room is nice sized, the bed very comfortable. I use this hotel for the park and fly. I have stayed at many of the other hotels along this road for park and fly. This one is perfect, if you dont want to spend alot of money on a room. That being said, its not a 5 star hotel, I would give it a low 4 star.Yes there are nicer hotels around the airport, but you pay more. I also would say, that Jalepino Loco, across the street, is one of the best mexican restaraunts I have eaten at. The margaritas are incredible, and I am paying for that as I write this.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chappy319
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Do not "park and fly" here. We waited (with six other people) for over an hour for the shuttle to pick us up from the airport. We called for the shuttle at 4:15 and they said they would pick us up at door 4 at 4:25. No shuttle - at 4:35 we called again and they said to get the next shuttle at 4:55 - No shuttle. At 5:05 we called again and the said one was in route. We finally got to the hotel around 5:30. While we waited for our shuttle we watched other hotel shuttles make 3 and 4 pick-ups. Needless to say, we will NOT stay at the Best Western next time. On another note, the hotel facility itself, isn't that great. It seemed a little run down.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
waupaun
Reviewed February 20, 2010

The Best beds and pillows I have ever experinced at a hotel. Great and freindly service.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple