“Friday Fish Fry”

Maxie's
Ranked #43 of 1,518 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Description: Maxie's is Milwaukee's outpost of Southern cooking and comfort food. Known for seafood and fish dishes, Maxie's features an oyster bar with Happy Hour and nightly specials. Maxie's draws inspiration from throughout the South, and serves barbecue, Low Country favorites, Cajun and Creole cuisine.
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“Friday Fish Fry”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We decided early on Friday afternoon, that we wanted to go somewhere for a Fish Fry. After reading the Internet list of best fish fries in the area, we decided to on Maxie's. Husband and son had been there earlier this year and had mentioned how much they enjoyed the fish--but had a long wait, as they had arrived after 6 pm on a Friday night. We arrived just a few minutes before 5 pm and were seated immediately. Lots of people enjoying the Happy Hour at the bar and lots of open tables for dinner--still available. We were given water upon being seated. Really didn't look at the menu, as we all had pretty much decided on a Fish Fry. They offer a Friday special of lightly breaded cod with Cole slaw and french fries for $14.95. The waitress brought us a basket of cornbread with whipped butter after we ordered. Everyone thought the cornbread was very tasty. Shortly after finishing the first basket of cornbread, the waitress brought us another basket of cornbread. No one touched the second basket, as we didn't want to spoil our appetites on bread. Our diners were then promptly served. Three big pieces of fish--displayed nicely covering a dish of Cole slaw and lots of brown french fries. The tartar sauce was homemade and tasty. The Cole slaw had too much mayo for my or my daughter's taste, so my hubby and son enjoyed our portions. The fish was exceptionally light, not greasy and very flavorful. I could only eat two of the three pieces of fish and offered the third up to the guys, which was split by both of them. Daughter's third piece went home in a doggy bag, as well as the second basket of cornbread. My only complaint is that all of our fries were a bit over fried and didn't look that appealing on our plates because they were brown.

Wait staff was very attentive. Since the fish was what we came for, I am giving the restaurant a very good rating. If the fries were better, it would have given it an excellent. We probably should have told the waitress on her numerous check ins--with us, that we were a bit disappointed in the fries.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank mints2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Great eats”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I was in Milwaukee for the weekend and the wife surprised me by taking me to a southern seafood place.

The menu looked great, diverse in their types of BBQ and southern cooking, and it was hard to make a choice. I was wondering if there was going to be enough of the Catfish Po'Boy for me but I needn't have worried! It was massive--one of the few times I've needed to box my food at a restaurant.

The shrimp and fried green tomatoes we had to start were fantastic too and their wine list was pretty decent to boot too (a Malbec for me).

• Visited July 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Fun atmosphere & almost always delicious”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

First off - if you go here on a weekend or a night with special events, prepare to wait & wait! You can call an hour ahead to put your name in which helps alleviate too much of a wait.

The service is either really great or just alright. I have not had consistent experiences but continue to go back for the great times & food I have had. Outstanding variety of southern food on the menu nonetheless!

It's a fun place to bring out of towners and the bartenders we've had are fun to talk to while you wait.

• Visited June 2014
Milwaukee
“disapointed last time.”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We have loved Maxie's since it has opened. The food is consistantly outstanding. My issue is with the rediculous wait time to be seated, although friendly wait staff, very slow service and the fact that we watched the bartender put together our Old Fashions and saw her completely leave out the alchohol. twice. We did call her out on it and barely got so much as an 'oops'. Pease dont mess with my drink, charge me full price and expect me to come back. As much as I adore the chicken fried steak, I have to say, that with all the up and coming restaurants in town, it's going to be awhile before we head back to Maxie's after our last experience. Part of the overall experience is knowing the establishement appreciates your business, and that was not the case.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank luluMilwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Southern Oh Yes”
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

This place has a great vibe and great southern food. The menu offers lots of options and the service is great. No reservations so be prepared to wait

Visited August 2013