“Cornbread Divine” 5 of 5 bubbles

Maxie's
Ranked #38 of 1,502 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Seafood, American, Cajun & Creole, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Maxie's is Milwaukee's outpost of Southern cooking and comfort food. Known for seafood and fish dishes, Maxie's features an oyster bar with Happy Hour and nightly specials. Maxie's draws inspiration from throughout the South, and serves barbecue, Low Country favorites, Cajun and Creole cuisine.
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Cornbread Divine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I am not a fan of spicy food, so I wasn't sure what to expect when my husband wanted to go, but it was delicious!! I loved everything and our waitress was amazing!

Visited March 2014

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Thursday's for Ribs and Mac n Cheese!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

Maxie's has an Old Milwaukee pub/tavern like atmosphere. Tables and bar are both up and downstairs. Bartenders are knowledgeable about their wine selection and they have some yummy house wines. My favorite day to go is Thursday for their Kansas City style dry rub ribs and the Mac n Cheese menu. Maxie's generally has up to 4 varieties of Mac n Cheese on Thursdays along with their standard which is delicious. Wait staff is friendly, knowledgeable and able to offer suggestions according to your taste for southern food. Don't go if you're expecting a quiet romantic dinner as this place can get rockin with jovial conversation, laughter and friends having fun.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
“Food amazing! Huge portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

The best brisket I have ever had! The BBQ is a little spicy. Salads are top notch. Nice atmosphere. The only thing was dripping from the top floor on us. The manager gave us a free meal to make up for it. The meal was a little longer than expected, but yummy!

• Visited March 2014
Milwaukee
“A slice of NOLA in Yankee territory... a great evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I went to Maxie's with my wife and a friend who was visiting from France. It's not our first visit, so I knew it would be something unique to America, much better than the typical fare. We got there on a Friday night around 6, and we had only about a 30 minute wait without calling ahead. We settled in at the bar and had a round of drinks. The place was pretty busy, and the other people there were friendly. The Sazerac I had was a nice and smooth version, and the others enjoyed their drinks also. We were seated soon enough, and Lora, our server, brought the menus and described the specials for the evening (crawfish etouffee and crab and chicken pasta). We started with fried green tomatoes, then had a cup of gumbo, two jambalayas (oh, me-oh-my-oh) and the special pasta with crab. We had some wine and cider with the dinners as well. Everything came up hot and fresh, and the jambalaya was nicely spiced. The plates were huge... Lora said they "don't serve small plates here"!! We had to take some home with us. Even though we said we didn't have the room, a shared dessert of warm bread pudding (with pecans) disappeared with ease.

What a fun place. When we were done, someone came by to invite us to the Mardi Gras and Lundi Gras events the next week, and said that the Kentucky Derby party might even be better than that! I can't wait to check them out.
NOLA is still better, but in case you can't get down there as often as you'd like, this will certainly tide you over until your next trip. You won't be disappointed, unless you don't like to have fun!

In the winter, you can hope you don't get a table near the door, or you may have to keep your coat on. We were seated farther away this time, and were quite comfortable.

• Visited February 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“New Orleans food in MKE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I've wanted to try Maxie's for a while, and we finally made it this weekend.
A good variety of New Orleans (or at least New Orleans inspired) food. The jambalaya was very good, but at the spicy end of my spice tolerance (especially the sausage). My adult daughter liked her beef brisket, but said it was a bit too "saucy". (She really liked the mac and cheese on the side). My wife, who doesn't have much spice tolerance, opted for the burger, and said it was quite good; the sweet potato fries she got with it were particularly good. I think the key is be warned that the spices will be spicy!
Maxie's is VERY popular. We went very early on a Saturday (~4:40) and it was already quite busy. By the time we left at about 6:15, the wait was about an hour and a half. We were upstairs, so away from the waiting crowds; I can see where it would get somewhat claustrophobic being downstairs with a lot of waiting parties crammed in.
Good but not remarkable service.
We'd go back when in the mood for something a bit more exciting than usual.

• Visited February 2014