“Very poor service”
Review of Lake Express

Lake Express
Ranked #27 of 181 things to do in Milwaukee
More attraction details
Owner description: Lake Michigan's only high speed car-passenger ferry. Offering convenient 2-1/2 hour runs between Muskegon and Milwaukee. Visit our website for a full schedule of daily crossings and to book your trip. Cut hundreds of miles of driving and enjoy the hours you save when you take the Lake Michigan ferry shortcut offered by Lake Michigan's fast ferry, the Lake Express.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 5, 2014

They just cancelled our scheduled return crossing and said "the money is returned to the credit card". Like the problem is solved by just returning the money. No problem to leave us stuck in Milwaukee. Terrible service and last time we used this ferry.

5  Thank Jan V

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I purchased my ferry ticket online, but the emailed receipt said that I booked a 6:00am trip rather than the 12:30pm trip I tried to purchase. I'm not sure if I clicked the wrong time or if it defaulted back to the 6:00 time when entering in my other information. Regardless of the mix up, I thought I could easily remedy the problem with a quick phone call. I immediately called customer service within a minute of making the reservation so that the time could be corrected for my trip. The customer service rep said that "as of today we are making no exceptions to the change fee," and "we're cracking down on this in Milwaukee," so they charged me an additional $10 to the already costly trip just so I could get the time corrected. The rep was not friendly and did not treat me like a valued customer. I have had much better experience resolving financial issues and dealing with customer service with travel agencies, airlines, banks, and even credit card companies. I certainly didn't expect such lack of consideration from a ferry service. I haven't even stepped foot on board the boat yet, and I'm already wishing I made different travel arrangements so I didn't have to support their business by being a paying customer.

6  Thank Mary H
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I take this ferry about 5 times a year. I have a option to take the car ferry called the badger out of Manitowoc but choose to take the high speed ferry because of how fast it takes about 2 1/2 hours to cross Lake Michigan and I avoid Chicago. The badger is a fun ship and if your not in a hurry it's a great trip. I would recommend lake express if your in a hurry

2  Thank Ltd1509
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We rode the Lake-Express with our motorcycles to Muskegon. This was my second time taking it, and luckily, the water was fairly smooth, albeit very cold! Last time, several years ago, the Lake was a bit angry and the ride was not pleasant most of the way. At any rate, our voyage this time was nice and rather uneventful. Although, it was pretty neat watching the lake surface whizzing by the windows in the main lounge, and the rooster-tails shooting off the stern[s].

While i think it's worth taking the Lake-Express for the novelty of it, personally, i prefer the historic SS Badger for several reasons, in no particular order.... While the Lake-Express is faster, it does not handle the waves like the Badger, thus if you're prone to seasickness, you might want to plan accordingly..... L-E is more utilitarian, while the Badger is of historic significance. There's quite a difference in fares: L-E is quite a bit more expensive than the Badger. Also, other than one main lounge, and a smaller premium lounge, there's not much else to do or see on the boat. The top deck would be a nice hangout, but at 40 MPH for 2 hours straight, it gets quite drafty up there! But L-E does have its advantages: it is faster (2.5 hours vs 4 hours), it has drive-on/drive-off capability (and you get to drive your own vehicle) which is nicer and much quicker, and it doesn't leave as big carbon footprint as the Badger. During the summer, it has 3 roundtrips vs 2, which might work better for some.... But trying to compare the two is like comparing apples to pears---they serve the same purpose, but the experiences are totally different, at least in my view.....

During the course of this trip, we had the pleasure of taking both ferries, which is pretty cool. But overall, all things considered, i prefer the Badger over Lake-Express.

7  Thank StrangeTripper
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We took the Lake-Express Ferry as part of a motorcycle tour called RydeGuide "Lakes & Libations". What an amazing way to cross the fifth largest lake in the world. The ferry is the quickest mode of transportation across Lake Michigan; 2½ hours. We took the 6:00 a.m. — just in time to witness the magnificent sunrise. What an awe inspiring way to start the day. But, hold on to your boots; when the captains rev their engines, the high-speed catamaran nearly flies across the water. What a rush! Once the boat is in full power, I dare you to step outside on the upper deck. The wind will blow your hair off! Book early; motorcycle slots are limited. Bike straps are provided. Check for occasional special offers on their website

2  Thank RydeGuide