“For the price I expected more”
Review of Lake Express

Lake Express
Ranked #32 of 172 things to do in Milwaukee
More attraction details
Owner description: Lake Michigan's only high speed car-passenger ferry. Offering convenient 2-1/2 hour runs between Muskegon and Milwaukee. Visit our website for a full schedule of daily crossings and to book your trip. Cut hundreds of miles of driving and enjoy the hours you save when you take the Lake Michigan ferry shortcut offered by Lake Michigan's fast ferry, the Lake Express.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
st. catharines
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 363 helpful votes
“For the price I expected more”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I share other travellers remarks about cancellations since ours went but the day's before did not. Having travelled by ferry before the price shocked me compared to other great lake ferry rates. However it was the fastest ferry in North America and that alone is a novelty.
Glad I did not pay more for VIP seating as the only extra I saw they had was food servers.
For a one time deal I am glad I did it but will not pay that rate again for what it was.

Visited October 2012
7 Thank rodney01

Grand Rapids, Michigan
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Have a back up plan just in case...”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

It never dawned on me that a trip would be canceled...I probably should have known better, but I assumed the ferry ran regardless of weather conditions. I was caught off guard when I got an automated call telling me my trip was canceled just 4 hours ahead of departure. I was taking the ferry for business so canceling my trip wasn't an option, nor was waiting for the next day to travel by ferry. I had to scramble at the last minute to drive to Milwaukee from West Michigan.

I don't fault Lake Express for this at all...I just put this out there so that others are aware that if the weather is bad, you may need to have a backup plan.

Visited October 2012
5 Thank WMICHBEN
New York, KY
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A Great Experience”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We take trips every summer and this summer we decided to cross the Lake Michigan on the Lake Express as a part of our summer adventure. My daughter had only been on a small ferry across the Ohio River. We weren't sure what it would be like due to 30 mph winds. There was some chop, but we were going almost directly into the wind, so there wasn't much side to side rocking. If you are prone to seasickness, take precautions. We had no issues and it was a great experience.
You do need reservations, in the summer, if you are going to take a vehicle.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Brett C
Appleton, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Cancellation Policy”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I am living in WI and my family is in MI. There was a scheduled trip for a family member to come visit me and they found out 5 hrs before that the boat was cancelled. Because the ticket was round trip they simply refunded the first one but not the return ticket.

Despite the bad luck I scheduled a ticket to return home that departs tomorrow. Because I had made other arrangements for my return trip, I am having a co-worker drive me 2hrs (one way) to the Milwaukee terminal tomorrow morning. I tried calling tonight when I got home to find out if it was for sure running or not and can't find any information on it. The boat leaves at 6am which means I need to leave around 3am to get there for check in. I tried calling the immediate response line several times and have yet to get an answer from them. If both me and my co-workers time is wasted and my trip is ruined this will be the last straw and I'll never consider AND ADVISE AGAINST using the service they provide.

I would rather drive around and know I'm going to get there then wonder if I'm going to waste 4+ hrs in the car for nothing... plus then have to drive anyway. They could at least give better warning if its going to be cancelled and real time updates.

Visited August 2012
4 Thank Andrew P
Holland, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Check the Weather Conditions In Advance”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Eleven of my twelve crossings have been wonderful. One autumn evening I sat on the deck with a friend and enjoyed conversation and a beautiful corn moon as we watched the sun set over the Milwaukee skyline. On another voyage, my relatives from North Carolina loved being able to make a day trip to Milwaukee to see their cousins, and this was once again, a pleasant trip. As a teacher, I rode the boat several times and was able to get a significant amount of grading done on board; I was grateful to have arrived home in Michigan after a weekend with my daughters without having to stay up half the night to get my work done. In the summer, I have enjoyed standing on the upstairs deck, waving to folks along the boardwalk in Muskegon, while taking in a beautiful view of Michigan's dunes. I have enjoyed the service provided by the Lake Express. My most recent crossing -with a daughter and her infant-unfortunately was horribly rocky and therefore, unpleasant when my daughter became desperately seasick and I had to care for both her and the baby in miserable conditions. However, our crew did an incredible job of taking care of seasick passengers on board and providing assistance where needed. They even helped with the baby,s care and they escorted my daughter to fresh air on the deck. Our experience in rough waters will not deter us from riding again. However, we will be better prepared in choosing our seats (staying in the middle of the ship).We suggest that you always check conditions before setting sail and take appropriate measures to avert seasickness if you hear there will be 4-6 foot waves.

Visited September 2012