“Wonderful for lunch”
Review of La Merenda

La Merenda
Ranked #13 of 1,539 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between 1st and Barclay
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Went for lunch. The service person asked if we would like to sit outside. The area is beautiful. You can get out of the sun, get a little sun or have lots of sun. We are always surprised it is not busier at lunch. The food is wonderful. Probably the best I have had in Wisconsin. Most ingredients procured from local organic source and done very creatively. Perfect for a group to share the small plates.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I took a friend there last Thursday during my Easter break. The food was not only phenomenal, but I truly appreciate the fact that most of the food comes from local and organic sources. The food was so tasty that I ordered a second serving of one of the tapas to go. Gourmet taste without the gourmet price -this place is one of Milwaukee's finest!

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We have been trying to eat at this place for what seems like forever...AND we finally made reservations a few weeks in advance and made it there for my BF's birthday. This place was amazing. I have been to other tapas restaurants all over the place but this hits all of the notes. We shared about 5 tapas between two people which was way more than we really needed. But they were all delicious and didn't go wrong. The waitress was great and gave fabulous recommendations and even treated my BF to a 'normal' dessert from their menu which was incredibly nice. The atmosphere is great too, love the decorations. However, it is a little loud so if you can't handle that then it's probably not the place for you. And it could use a slightly better wine menu. We ended up finding a great bottle, but could have used a few more options.
We can't wait to go back...!! Loved it!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

As close to excellent as you can get as far as food and service at the table. We had a reservation for three at 5PM opening time and arrived at 4:48pm only to be stacked at the bar with everyone else. Some others with 5:00PM reservations and some with no reservations. I realize that the bar is major profit but please seat me at my table for the drink. We were left at the bar with all the rest and had to ask to be seated twice. First time here and one of two mis-steps as far as I am concerned. This would be my biggest problem with the restaurant. Maybe not a big deal for most but I would prefer to be seated at my table for a cocktail while I wait for the first round of food to arrive especially since we have a reservation when the place opens for dinner.

Once we got seated the rest of the people at the bar with reservations followed. Guess it takes someone to get it started. We ordered the first round of plates and they started arriving. Bread plate first followed by Chorizo and potatoes and then the smoked chicken quesadilla. The quesadilla was placed on the corner of the table and then 90 seconds later was removed and delivered to another table. Hoping the new table didn't notice the taste of missing sauce. If you make a serving mistake live with it. I would not want food delivered to me form someone else's table. To me that is a huge mis step. At least we didn't sneeze on the plate! We all agreed the Ravioli Chorizo and the XI'AN BEEF, Korean, were good however disappointing. Both were bland and lacked any real flavor or spice that we expected with both. The Chorizo served with the potatoes was the best sausage any of us had had and we were expecting that same flavor in he ravioli which was missing. Braised veal, excellent, same with Butter Chicken, Empanadas, and potato skins with truffle oil. Water glasses were kept filled and over all service was excellent! I agree with others here, it was hard to choose which plates to eat. We inspected our neighbors plates as they did ours and shared thoughts on the plates.

Overall, one of the best meals and the most fun dinning out in a very long time. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone however don't think I would take small children here, but that's me. We will all be back.

1  Thank Captain648
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This is one of those places where everything is so good, the food is amazing easily you end ordering like 6 tapas at least. Highly recommend patatas bravas with Spanish chorizo, the Argentinian steak, empanadas, pork belly crepes and ohh well just get the rest of the menu hahaha.. SO hard to choose just a few. We ordered not sure if 8 or 9 tapas, some wine and it was around $100 tip included, it gets as expensive as you want it to be, you can just go and get a perfect number of 3 to share between two and you bill be under $50. This is a place to sit and enjoy life with a nice talk, get a tapa keep talking get another and so it goes. That is the reason why I strongly recommend making reservations in advance because it is a really really popular place.