“Excellent small plates to share at a great price.”
Review of La Merenda

La Merenda
Ranked #11 of 1,534 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between 1st and Barclay
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I just finished my first trip here and I can't wait to return. The menu is made up of only small plates. They are perfect for sharing. With four of us, we ordered four plates for our first course and three for our second course. We then split two desserts, which were excellent.

If I had to describe the cuisine, I would start with focusing on the ingredients and the finesse with which they are prepared, rather than an ethnic style. There were certainly a wide variety of influence including Indian, French, American, and others, but what really stood out was the quality of the products and the skill with which they were prepared.

We tried three of the specials and I think that they stood out as favorites. A chicken curry dish was good, but not as jaw dropping as the others. I don't think any plate wasn't finished and we are generally light eaters. I would suggest eating in several small flights.

With most items ranging from $6-10, you can take some chances. Our meal for 4 was only $78 without drinks. I will certainly be back.

There are newer reviews for La Merenda

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stopped here after Jersey Boys at PAC...arrived at 5:30 ish. We had a reservation. Got right in. There were four of us. We ordered 6 different tappas. Started with the specials.. salmon with some wonderful sauce over kale.....yum. Asian pot stickers.....wanted 4 more. We also had the grilled escabechie, torta of the day. The best thing ever was the squash ravioli........to die for. Order two plates of these... Also, they make their own soda.... diet soda was exceptional... made with stevia. Ginger, caramel.......wonderfulness. When we left there was a line of people waiting to get in. Will be back, hopefully soon

Reviewed October 28, 2013

La Merenda has a truly inventive kitchen and outstanding 'little plates' menu of very high quality cuisines from around the world. From curries to truffles, each preparation is an individual success. The restaurant is easy to enjoy at lunch, and very popular and busy in the evenings. The outside patio is particularly attractive.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Went here with my family recently, and the food was really delicious. La Merenda is a tapas place, but the small plates are not just from Spain -- there are dishes representing Italy, the Philippines, China, Colombia, Mexico, the Bahamas, Indonesia, Morocco, Chile, India, France, Russia, Argentina, and of course the USA (Wisconsin)! ;)

They use a lot of local ingredients, if that's something you especially look for, and even point those ingredients out on the menu, as well as where they were sourced! There are lots of vegetarian and gluten free items, and they are willing to work around any allergies or "aversions" you mention to them.

Our group of five adults ate about 8-10 of the regular menu items, plus four of the desserts. If we didn't care for something, it wasn't because it wasn't prepared well; it was just something that didn't appeal to our tastes.

Note: I wouldn't recommend this for a picky eater. The food is really great, but can seem a bit "adventurous" if you're not used to trying new things. I enjoyed it, but my sister had trouble finding something she liked.

Some items we really enjoyed:
- Patatas Bravas y Chorizo (from Spain): a potato and chorizo dish, and the chorizo in this is AMAZING. I'm going to try to track it down and buy some for myself, which should be easy because they list where they bought it!

- Hong Kong Beef: this was a special, so not on the regular menu, unfortunately. If you're lucky enough to go when they have it, order it!

- Beef Stronganoff (from Russia): very good; can taste the red wine in it, if you like that flavor in your stroganoff

- Desserts: I especially enjoyed the Créme Caramel, but the Car Bomb cake and Créme Brulée (which comes with blueberries IN it) were both delicious, as well. The Tres Leches was okay, but I'm not usually a fan of that, anyways, so that might be why I wasn't too enthused about it.

Reservations fill up quickly, so make them ahead of time. They keep a few tables open for walk-ins, but seeing as this place is pretty popular, if you can't get there early, you probably will wind up waiting. I'd recommend making every effort to get a reservation instead of leaving it up to chance.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We celebrated our anniversary at La Merenda and loved the experience! The tapas were very tasty specially the duck and the chicken. Their collection of wines is good too. The location is not so good so I would recommend going early. Overall an excellent place!

Been to La Merenda? Share your experiences!