“Wonderful Variety”
Review of La Merenda

La Merenda
Reserve with OpenTable
La Merenda is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 1,596 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between 1st and Barclay
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We really enjoyed our visit to La Merenda. The service was outstanding, with a very informative and friendly server. The standouts for us on this visit were the goat cheese curds, the ceviche (favorite of the night) and the Argentian beef. We had the tempandas and the tart of the day as well. The tempandas and tart were fine and at another restaurant would have been quite good, but here they didn't hold up to their counterparts. I highly recommend a visit. Make reservations - even at 530 on a Wed, the place was packed. Also take advantage of the free valet parking. Fast, efficient and easy.

1  Thank WI4travelers

Reviewed February 28, 2013

With all of the hype, this foodie family expected better. The dishes were too disparate - too many flavors. It seems that this restaurant is trying to please an over-large variety of tastes. The (summer weekday evening) could have been more attentive.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I seldom, if ever, have written Trip Advisor reviews in my own backyard. I'm no stranger to tapas restaurants; I've eaten at some of the best in Barcelona, Spain. Hands down, La Merenda, is the best tapas in Milwaukee. And, it also is among the best overall restaurants in Milwaukee. A little background on my visit; Friday night of Valentine's Day weekend, pre-symphony visit, gift to my 87-year-old mother-in-law. Timing could not have been more challenging. Valet parking, great! I have my 87 YO MIL. But I leave my readers in the car. No problem. Wait staff has loaners. Really, loaner reading glasses? OK. Why we go to restaurants. Service and food. Service; wow. outstanding wait staff and the runners are amazing. Wine quality and pricing was very good. And, the food, well, we started with a salad to share and the truffled potato skins and an order of empanadas. Then, an order of paella and a braised lamb dish and something else I can't remember. The tapas - small plates - are representative of global cuisine and not specifically Spanish. Wonderful. Great dessert dish to share as well, a crème brûlée. I can't wait to visit the restaurant with my youngest daughter from St. Louis, who introduced us to a great tapas joint there. And, I can't wait to revisit La Merenda on a weeknight. Go there!. Just not on my night.

2  Thank Clarkkp
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Researched the eclectic restaurants in downtown Milwaukee on my recent trip and decided to check out La Merenda as a tapas start to an evening. In brief, the brief visit turned into not one but TWO evenings of great food, wonderful friendly service and a very nice vibe. A must-go to check out over 20 tapas plates, all spectacular and firing up all your taste buds. Loved it!!!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and I went to La Merenda for a light dinner before the theatre. We had a reservation (highly recommended!) and were seated promptly. Our server, Micaela, made sure she took good care of us. The waitstaff kept the water glasses filled as we enjoyed a great sampling of small plates. We started with a nice sparkling wine and Magner's pear cider, and ordered ceviche, proscuitto salad, grilled pork, paella, and cassoulet. We decided to have a nice dessert, the evening special (blood orange tart) and we were not disappointed by any of our choices. We took some of the cassoulet home, as we were getting pretty full by that point.
This is a favorite place for us, and they make most of the dishes with local ingredients.
The free valet parking is great when it's cold outside. You may be able to find parking nearby within a block or two, but why not take advantage of the valet? They do get busy sometimes, so you may have to wait a few minutes to pick up your car when you're done.
Overall, highly recommended! A nice evening in a small, out-of-the-way location.