“Nice staff, tasty food, a little expensive”

Port of Call Bistro & Beer Garden
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Port of Call Bistro & Beer Garden is a nautically themed bar and restaurant where all items are made from scratch. Fresh fish daily, house ground meat and Wisconsin influenced items such as the Door County Fish Fry, Brat Patty Sliders and Cheese Curd appetizers. For the sunny days there is a 1300 sf patio located on the Milwaukee River to cocktail and weekly dinner cruises departing WED- SAT.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our business group went here during a break at our conference. It's easily walkable from US Cellular Arena.

This place was chosen mainly for its gluten free menu as someone in our group has a strict diet. There were quite a few choices for her. There were only 6 in our party, but despite the many open tables and our prior reservation, we still had to wait 10 minutes to be seated. The ambiance has dark woods with a nautical theme. It's pretty spacious and we were able to have a conversation.

Prices seemed a little pricey for a bar atmosphere type of place. However, they offered more than your run of the mill bar food like creative sauces, accompaniments and side dishes. I ordered just a plain burger and fries. I prefer it to be slightly pink and this one was VERY pink. Be sure to clearly specify how you'd like your meat cooked. It was still served warm and tasty and the fries had good flavor. My friend ordered the avocado burger and loved it, a few others had a beer.

The server was friendly, not overly attentive, but definitely didn't forget about us. She kept our glasses full and checked on us occasionally.

We'll probably go here again because of the proximity to the Arena, but if I were a local, it wouldn't be on my "must eat" places. It was decent.

1  Thank Turkoize

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We had a quick bite to eat at Port of Call before going to a show at the Pabst Theater. We read online that the drinks and appetizers were half price during the time that we would be dining there, but our server never mentioned this; we had to ask about it, and then he confirmed this information.

It was Friday, and I enjoyed a delicious fish fry, two pieces of haddock, cole slaw, fries, and a piece of cornbread. The fish was tasty and nicely done, the fries were standard fare, and the cornbread was a bit dry and would have benefitted with a pat of butter or some honey. The atmosphere was very nice, and we were able to conclude our dinner with a drink on the patio, overlooking the Milwaukee River.

I read some other reviews that were critical of the serving staff. OK, there was the omission of the information about half price drinks and appetizers, but we thought our server was extremely personable and accommodating, although it did take a while for him to get back to us when fetching a drink, bringing our bill, etc.This could have been a problem if we were short on time, but that wasn't the case for us.

Would I go back? Maybe not, but not because of any problems or disappointments, but because there are so many restaurants to explore in the Milwaukee area. The fish fry was delicious.

1  Thank Dare2BGroovy
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Great Outdoor dining along the River. try the Whitefish.... (What exactly is Whitefish? God, I miss New England!)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Due to previous reviews almost didn't go but did at a very busy time. Sat outside & our waitress was friendly, prompt & our food was very good. Had the special "Friday fish" & a blue burger which was done to my liking. It was also nice watching the activity on the water which made for a relaxing atmosphere.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We wanted to eat across the street, because overall we were looking for outdoor seating, but the other restaurant had an hour waiting and we were starving...so we decided to just eat here. What a surprise!! Our waiter was a young kid, he was so kind, and always on top of all our needs, the food ...everything we order was very good, but biggest surprise was the special soup my dad order, cheese with beer and sausage..amazing!! Never tried such a good soup!! I loved it!! The kids meal were very good size for price, I can't wait to go back and tried it again!