“Had to check out the Milwaukee landmark”

Gilles Frozen Custard Drive In
Ranked #5 of 22 Dessert in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Fast Food
Description: Milwaukee's Oldest Custard Stand Established in 1938, Gilles Frozen Custard has been serving superior custard to the Milwaukee Area for over 78 years.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Had to check out the Milwaukee landmark”
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend's father used to hang out here as a teenage guy and it certainly lives up to its reputation.

Our cashier was "in training" and I have no doubt she will be a valuable member of their team. She was very friendly and asked all the right questions.

The custard was delicious! Lived up to the hype!

“The original”
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Food is great especially the hamburgers and onion rings. They have that atmosphere of the 50s and some great frozen custard. The bubbler on the side of the building is a nice touch.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Always Soooo Good”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have been going there since I was a little kid. They used to be closed from Thanksgiving to Easter and patrons would go into custard shock. Many years ago they started with year-round hours (they have longer hours in the summertime), Yea!!! Their custard is very creamy and have also added flavors of the day. Hot food is varied and really good.

• Visited August 2012
Central Wisconsin
“Good fast food”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I always wanted to go to the Gilles in Milwaukee. I grew up in Fond du Lac where there is also a drive-in called Gilles. We were driving out of Milwaukee and I was looking for a restaurant for lunch on the GPS. When I found Gilles, my destination was decided. The restaurant is in a residential area, so not along any highways. We shared a Gillieburger (sloppy joe) and it was evident that it was homemade. They also offer a combo of onion rings and fries. We shared so we would have room for the great custard. I had a sundae and my husband a rootbeer float. They were great.

• Visited August 2012
Aurora, Illinois
“Old School Frozen Custard”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This was pretty much the only thing with any life the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. The cool old neon sign beckons you in for a great old-school frozen custard. There are all kinds of unusual combinations (with pictures) as well as the typical classics.

Visited May 2012