“What a great experience!”

Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 10 Milwaukee B&B and Inns
Las Vegas, Nevada
“What a great experience!”
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We just returned home following a fantastic family reunion this past weekend at the beautiful Schuster Mansion in Milwaukee. Although we didn't know quite what to expect as we walked up the front steps of this historic site, our uncertainty ended quickly when we were warmly greeted by the innkeepers, Laura and Rick. Within a very short time, it was as if they had become a part of our family. The accommodations were clean and inviting. And the mansion's central location made our outings to Miller Park (to see the Cubs defeat the Brewers), the Miller Brewing Company tour, and several downtowm establishments a breeze. And then there are Isaac and Winston (the family dog and cat). How cool are they, particularly Isaac (who will make you want to run out and adopt a Corgi if you don't already have one)?

Thanks again, Laura and Rick, for your part in making our weekend a great success!

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank McMahonClan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Chicago
Reviewed September 10, 2010

In a terribly unsafe neighborhood!!!!! There is a liquor store on the corner, just a couple houses away with bars on the windows and doors. Many locals loitering on the street. Police cars everywhere. Not the location for a romantic getaway, unless you want to be worried about your physical safety. This bed and breakfast is not what it is advertised to be! I should have been suspect by the over the top glowing recommendations....
I did not end up staying at this establishment due to my concerns. The owner was not at all understanding, and I was forced to pay the full amount.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
17 Thank Ccadams
schusterbnb, Owner at Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 2, 2010
To label your review, as you did, has nothing to do with our Bed and Breakfast. What CITY does not have a liquor store, bars on the window and people walking from one location to another. You can rate us a 1 if we desire it for our service, how clean our mansion is, or how breakfast was made. We believe you prejudge something before even giving a chance. Our location seem to not bother about 99% of the other guests that stayed here. Plus if you were to cancel at any other hotel in Milwaukee, you would have been charged by them also. I am sorry that you are a people who prejudges other, and you missed out on a very romantic getaway yourself.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We went for the Victorian High Tea, and were treated to a lovely visit with Isaac the dog and Laura Sue, hostess extraordinare. I wish I was from out of town so that we could have stayed in one of the many charming rooms. Tea, from the actual tea to the sandwiches and desserts, was delicious and the hostess was gracious and entertaining.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Libertyville, Illinois
Reviewed July 30, 2010

A friendly environment from the very first moment - when you are greeted by the family dog - Isaac - to the fascinating stories recounted by Laura Sue of the original owners of the mansion. Elegant table setting for breakfast with delicious meals - have Laura Sue choose the tea for you because you will be pleasantly surprised that tea can taste so wonderful. It's a magical kingdom - you feel like royalty - Laura Sue's infectious smile warms you as you walk into the mansion, and Rick welcomes you as a member of the family. Travel back in time to a gracious place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Guest10552
tulsa
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I hate to even share this secret, but in fairness to my wonderful hosts and fellow Tripadvisor travellers, I must do so. Arrived late in the evening, but to a warm welcome, from my host Rick and darling Corgie canine host, Isaac. The inn, a lovingly restored mansion located in an urban area near downtown Milwaukee and less than a mile from Marquette University, is spacious and historically interesting. Rick is extremely knowledgeable and justifiably proud of his and his wife's work on the wonderful building. After taking my "order" for both my breakfast and morning beverage choice, Rick gave me a tour of the inn. I then retired to my room on the top floor, cozy and perfect for one person. The shared bath was mine alone for the stay as the adjoining room was vacant. The room and bath were spotless and outfitted with all the necessary amenities (wifi, tv, toiletries, etc.). Morning brought a copious and delicious breakfast and an interesting conversation with the host and afterwards, a fellow guest. A delightful stay; one of the best of many B&B experiences.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Plano, TX
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We "visited" Rick and Laura Sue at the Schuster Manion when in the area from TX on business. It was such a delight staying in their "home"...and that is truly what they made you feel like! I stayed in Pia's Suite, and it was lovely. As they say, "if only these walls could talk"! It was easy to feel like you'd gone back in time a bit...but with the conveniences! The breakfasts served were fabulous! Laura Sue was so accommodating with any request I had. I would definitely go back and stay there if ever in the area again! And, I would highly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Katy, Texas
Reviewed May 12, 2010

My husband is currently working in Illinois on a project for his company. Prior to my most recent visit I decided that we should drive to Milwaukee and spend the night so I booked us a night at the Schuster Mansion. I chose this B&B since it was rated #1 on TripAdvisor and the B&B’s website is really nice as well. We had not ever been to Milwaukee before and as we drove through the neighborhood where the Schuster Mansion is located we were surprised at all of the locals walking around because you just don’t see that where we live. As we got out of the car one of them said, “Enjoy your stay!”. We had not even stepped inside the Schuster Mansion and already we felt very welcomed! Once we went inside we were warmly greeted by Laura Sue and her dog Isaac. Just as other reviews have said, Isaac went right into the kitchen and brought back his ball. We definitely enjoyed that as we have a dog who also loves to play fetch! Laura Sue gave us a tour of the entire mansion as well as some history of the house before she showed us to our room. It was all very interesting and I was most impressed with the design and décor. We stayed in Pia’s Suite, which is absolutely beautiful. Laura Sue’s attention to detail is amazing and it’s very obvious throughout the entire house. We inquired about dinner and Laura Sue was very knowledgeable about the area as well as the restaurants. She suggested Bartolotta, which overlooks Lake Michigan, and gave us a map with some directions on how to get there. Because it was on a Sunday we were able to get in without a reservation and had a table right by the window. Her suggestion was perfect - our superb dinner was complimented with an excellent view. A relaxing dinner and that’s exactly what we needed! Later that night we went to Mo’s Irish Pub which is downtown and that was fun as well - the Bailey’s cheesecake is great! While at Mo’s we again noticed how many people were out and about walking around at 9:30 at night. (young adults, moms & dads with babies in strollers, couples, etc). We thought that was really neat as we live in Houston and you don’t see that a lot. Overall our stay was incredible, Laura Sue and Rick were so nice and when it was all said and done I can not believe the price we paid for our room, which was $159.00 for a suite! Before we had breakfast the next morning tea and coffee were delivered to our room. Nice touch! Isaac also made his rounds to say good morning…and to bring his ball for a quick game of fetch. For breakfast we chose Laura Sue’s casserole. I can’t recall what she called it but there were eggs, sausage, sour cream, green onion and hash browns. There was even praline French toast to boot - yum! We had a great time getting to know our hosts a bit more during breakfast. I only have two regrets….one, that my husband will be leaving Illinois next month and so we will not have the opportunity to go back to the Schuster Mansion and two, that we were not there for Laura Sue’s Victorian High Tea – which I hear is FABULOUS. If you are in the Milwaukee area and are looking for a romantic, quiet, relaxing B&B then this one is it!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple