“Great Experience for a Tight Budget in Milwaukee”

Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 10 Milwaukee B&B and Inns
Elgin, Illinois, United States
“Great Experience for a Tight Budget in Milwaukee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Me and my fiance were looking for a place to stay for a weekend outing in Milwaukee. I usually don't even bother with looking up the bed and breakfasts in the areas we travel in since they are generally way out of our price range. I happened upon the Schuster Mansion on the TripAdvisor website and I decided to look into it for fun. Turns out the prices were very low so I decided to book the weekend. I booked the Prairie Sky suite that is in the tip-top turret of the mansion along with another small room that share a common bathroom. I've got to say that I was very worried about sharing a bathroom with another couple since we would probably both be going out on the town and needing the mirror, and the shower, and the sink, and not to mention the toilet at the same time and it might get uncomfortable. We were lucky though that the others seemed to have a different schedule and ended up not seeing them once during our stay, except in the dining room. This inconvenience is the only reason I give my experience only a "Very Good" rating. If I stay there again, I will stay in one of the rooms with it's own bathroom! As for the room, it was very small with not much more space than to fit a bed and side tables but it was very warm and cozy and the clouds on the ceiling were very romantic. Anyway, the host and hostess are very accommodating and invite you to use most of their house for your own purposes. They offered us a free bottle of wine with our stay that you were allowed to go to the kitchen and get when you wanted and free cookies at your leisure. It was a very nice touch. The breakfast was a pleasing gourmet twist of sweet and salty each morning and we enjoyed it in both the formal dining room and the library where the conversation often drifted off while you got distracted by all the interesting things to look at. I believe this couple have done a great job in restoring this mansion back to it's formal glory after being gutted by previous owners and they deserve a commendation for all they have done. I enjoyed this bed and breakfast experience immensely and I just happened to get engaged while I was in the mansion :) so it will always hold a special memory for me. I hope it has the same in store for you!

Room Tip: Lonestar and Prairie Sky share a bathroom. If you want privacy, choose another suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Excellent experience Unique, comfortable experience with welcoming hosts committed to replication of earlier era. Made to order breakfast choices with on site parking. Having friendly, no errors ball fielding dog was fun

• Stayed April 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

At the Schuster Mansion you will get to experience your very own "night at the museum" but with the convenience of modern day amenities. My husband and I are Milwaukee natives and this was our first B&B experience. Our midweek two-night stay was enjoyable from beginning to end. This castle stands grandly amid a lesser known and underdeveloped area just west of the downtown Marquette campus. It's a keen example of Milwaukee's unique historic architecture. I have much admiration for Laura and Rick's ongoing commitment to restoring this majestic mansion. Inside, you will transition to another era as Laura warmly greets you in the main hallway and leads you to an ornate drawing room to discuss preferences during your stay. After that, you are free to choose between adventuring through the mansion or tucking away into your suite. If you are enthusiastic and familiar with Victorian Era living, you are going to be beside yourself with the attention to accuracy that has been paid to every room and corner of this mansion.
This B&B is perfect for guests seeking quiet alone time and just as fitting for the curious and inquiring kind. Laura will enthusiastically provide stories and suggestions to your inquiries. The level of accommodations is tailored to your chosen rate. You will be served a gourmet breakfast at your chosen a.m. time, with everything presented on ornate china in a spacious and sunny dining area. You are invited to enter almost any room, including the kitchen for a bottle of wine and a place to store your perishables. Don't forget to grab a homemade cookie or two.
This is a good choice for those seeking downtown attractions. You are almost in arm's reach of almost every bit of entertainment and tourism Milwaukee offers. A downside will be that you will not want to walk this neighborhood at night, and there will be little to offer within blocks of the mansion. Rest assured, you will feel safe as soon as you are settled in and you discover how close you are to everything. You are right on the edge of newer and improved areas, both east (downtown) and further west (suburb/shopping). A stay like this would be exceedingly pricey if located among the higher-developed areas of downtown.
Most people will feel they received a modest rate for how much they were provided during their stay. It's a place I will want to come back to.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This establishment, besides being a B&B, runs an afternoon tea. I wanted to take my mother, who is a busy physician and who also takes care of my father who has Alzheimers, to a nice afternoon distraction. She had patients to see all morning, and this tea started at 1:00. I called around 1:00 to see if it would still be possible to come to the tea, even though we would arrive late. The woman who answered my call thanked me for calling and assured me that this would be no problem, she would save two seats for us. We arrived about 20 minutes later. First of all, she kept my mother and I standing out in the cold and would not invite us in. She then told us that she had given away our seats to some other people she had mistakenly taken to be us. She could have apologized for her blunder and told us to come in, but she did not. She kept my mother out on the doorstep on a 35 degree day while she tried to dissuade us from staying because since she gave the seats away, the problem was now ours. How unprofessional and rude! I told her that I had called and told her that we would be late and that she had told me that she was saving two seats for us. If she gave my seats away, and I drove all the way to this place, the least she could have done was to invite us in out of the cold and find two more chairs somewhere in that house. She told us we would have to wait at least 20 minutes to make any food for us, in a masked attempt to make it seem like it would be better to come another time, since she had screwed up and didn't want to have to fix her error. If you make a promise, keep your promise. She lost two customers, and I hope no one else makes the mistake of taking this woman at her word.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank moclaud
schusterbnb, Owner at Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
There is a total misunderstanding with the whole issue. We DID NOT give your seats to someone else. When you called, we thought you were the couple that already had reservations and were calling to tell us that they going to be late. Our website clearly states that you MUST HAVE A RESERVATION, because we make all the food from scratch. After your called we started the event. Then the couple with the reservation arrived. We were in the middle of our talk to all the ladies attending, then you arrived, VERY surprised that you were at the door. I tried a number of times to explain the miss understanding, while all the other ladies are waiting for me to come back to them. I did offer to make you food, being honest on how long it would take to make it, but advised it would be best to make a reservation for a future date since you have missed most of the intro of the High Tea. We are truly sorry for this very strange mix up and total misunderstanding.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Never stayed, never will. I usually have no problem with cancellation fees, but when I needed to cancel 22 days ahead of my visit, I expected a little cooperation. I have stayed at dozens of B&B's and have never been treated so poorly. This innkeeper could not justify the charge, and was rude to boot. My credit card company took care of the charge, but after the unprofessional treatment, I'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Nikki290
YES BE AWARE. Our policies as far as cancellations, everything is stated on our website. And then it is restated on your confirmation letter so you are well informed and no surpasses. Most other B&B's have this very same polices. We have our polices in place for reason whether you agree with or not. To you we may seem that we are being rude, but we are just applying the polices.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

The mansion is located so close to all of what Milwaukee has to offer. The tough part is leaving the mansion. It's so inviting and the owners are fantastic! Milwaukee has a lot of theaters, museums, and events to enjoy. Coming "home" to this B & B is just the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pius room. It had a sitting room. The bed is one of the best I have ever slept on.
Mundelein, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

It's hard to overstate how much my wife & I enjoyed our 2-night stay at the Schuster Mansion. The mansion itself is a majestic Victorian structure - just like the pictures. The inside has been beautifully decorated throughout in furnishings and colors consistent with the era in which the home was built. We stayed in the Pias suite which was wonderfully decorated. Particularly enjoyable was the four-poster bed with canopy. But we took a quick peek at 3 or 4 other suites and each was carefully finished and decorated. We were impressed with how clean and dust-free the entire home felt which is no small feat for a house of this size. The breakfasts were excellent. Not mere Continental-type breakfasts but full, satisfying breakfasts beautifully presented on fine china. We especially enjoyed being served breakfast in the sunny alcove with glass ceilings. Laura Sue and Rick are great hosts. They are present and helpful whenever needed but not hovering or over-bearing when not. The suites and mansion floor plan make it feel like if it's privacy you're looking for it's easily achieved. All-in-all it was a great experience and we're so glad that Laura Sue and Rick are restoring such a beautiful, historic home and then sharing it with the public.

Room Tip: If you enjoy waking up to morning sun (we do) the Pias suite is on the east side of the mansion.