“they do not care about their customers experience”

Tenuta's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #154 of 1,549 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Bay View
Reviewed February 7, 2009

we had reservations for 8 people to meet for a birthday dinner. People travelled from Chicago and Oconomowoc. Three of us were present when the reservation was made; yet they said they didn't have a record of it. They were busy and didn't apologize or make an attempt to work out the problem. They dismissed us. This was our third time at the restaurant and we will never return. There are plenty of restaurants to go to in Milwaukee that would make good on a mistake and work to fix it. They were rude. The night ended up working out great as we went to another restaurant and had a great meal!

1  Thank 6tribes

Reviewed September 27, 2008

I just moved into the neighborhood this summer and I am originally from Chicago. I heard this place had good food so I decided to order deep dish pizza...very plain and bland.

Reviewed July 4, 2008

I am Italian from the south side of Chicago where we are not short on great Italian restaurants. In my business travels I have always made a point for seeking the best Italian restaurant in town. My travels have included New York's Little Italy and Boston's North End. However, Tenuta's is my all time favorite. It is the small neighborhood atmosphere and homeiness that you seek in the great Italian restaurants.

The chef is a master. I have been here 8 times and have had just about everything on the menu. Everything is outstanding,from the pasta to the pizza. Great wine list, great service. If you want a real treat arrive early and have Frank whip up his special 4 course sampler meal. It's not on the menu so you have to ask. It also may not be available if the restaurant is crowded. We were lucky enough to catch him at a good time. He is obviously a man who loves to cook new things and loves people who enjoy food. My other favorites are the parmigiano's and the lasagna.

Make sure you make a reservation if you're eating after 6 because there are only a few tables and it will get crowded and the bar is small.

1  Thank lisleump1
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Tenuta's is Bay View's treasure. It's cozy, has pleasant servers, and food is consistently good. The wine list is more than adequate, and the menu is varied featuring specials, pastas and of course, pizza. Seafood and steaks are also available. I highly recommend the thick crust pizza, but everyone's crust preference is different.

We've also sampled the entire Martini menu. Ladies, you must have a Platinum Blonde. And for dessert, the chocolate lava cake is divine.

I've never had a poor dinner at Tenuta's. Sometimes you have to wait a bit longer for a table even with a reservation. This wait is the perfect excuse to go to the bar and order a Platinum Blond.

Reviewed February 4, 2008

Very disappointing. We arrived at 6pm and, since we didn't have a reservation, understood when the hostess told us we wouldn't be seated for 45 minutes to an hour. We told her we'd wait and took a spot at the bar to wait for our table. There was only one bar stool open at first and eventually a second opened, so two of our party of four stood for the hour.

After an hour the hostess informed us that it would be at least a half an hour until we could be seated. We explained that we'd already waited an hour, based on her original estimate, and would have gone elsewhere if we'd known it was going to be even later. She kept repeating that we didn't have a reservation. We understood that, but she knew we didn't have a reservation when she originally told us 45-60 minutes. It's now 7 and a member of our party had to leave at 8:30 for work, so we asked to speak with the manager.

He came over and I explained our situation. I asked him to take a few moments and tell us what our options were. About 10 minutes later the hostess came back and told us that they'd set up a table for us and seat us in about 5 minutes. We eventually got seated at a table set up for us by the kitchen and were able to eat and be on our way by 8:20.

What disturbs me more about the experience was the way we were treated by the hostess and manager. After our initial conversation, the manager never returned to inform us of our options (in fact, we never saw him again the whole evening). The hostess, who had been very warm and friendly, turned very cold after we asked to speak to the manager.

We never asked for special treatment, never asked anything to be comped. We never complained about the table being in the server's path from the kitchen, resulting in our table being jostled repeatedly. I understand that they were busy. Had the manager (ideally) or the hostess simply said, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" and sought some way to accomodate us (without us having to ask them) would have made a world of difference.

The food was good and we liked the atmosphere, but I can assure you we won't return. It's too bad that, when discussing customer service with colleagues and friends, we now use Tenuta's as an example of how not to handle a customer.

1  Thank mck2657