Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Reviewed September 12, 2016
L H
San Antonio, Texas

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Milwaukee
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 20, 2017

St. John's Cathedral is Milwaukee's Catholic Archdiocese. The church reminds me of entering a church in Rome. It was built in 1852 and all the skilled craftsmanship and beauty of that time is present in this magnificent church; built with cream city brick, towers, huge stained glass windows, are just some of the details you can admire. Unfortunately, the high altar was changed in the past for a circular setting for mass; not a happy change for many who attend church there. But what a treasure!

Date of experience: December 2016
1  Thank micheledivadivo
Reviewed October 30, 2016

As a Catholic, I love to visit the cathedrals of the Diocese/Archdiocese of every new city I visit. So, St. John's Cathedral it was. It's a beautiful structure. Though, I was surprised that it was the cathedral, because it is smaller than a lot of cathedrals I've been to. I was surprised that the pews were movable chairs instead of conventional pews. Still, I love the old-time architecture of the old Catholic churches, and St. John's was no exception.

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed September 28, 2016

Didn't get to go inside, but definitely a pretty view from a drive by outside. It's lit up nicely and seems well maintained.

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed September 12, 2016

I walked to see this one morning from my hotel and it is a lovely church from the 1800’s. I was able to see the main church while mass was going on in a smaller side chapel. There is a beautiful baptismal font with baptismal pool that was something I had not seen in a Catholic Church before and was impressive.
The church is lovely and peaceful. There was someone sleeping on the back pew but I did not disturb him and he did not bother me. The sculpture hanging from the ceiling is quite unusual for the cathedral but all in all it is a nice place to see some beautiful designs and interior especially if you like to visit these old cathedrals and churches.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed August 27, 2016 via mobile

While in town for a family reunion, we attended mass at this spectacular cathedral. The priest and lay clergy were warm, humble and inviting. The cathedral was renovated not that long ago and included a marvelous iron sculpture of a crown of thorns which hovers over two huge iron nails. Suspended among this is a figure of Jesus with the Holy Spirit in his right hand. The seats are upholstered chairs vs pews and decor is more contemporary than most cathedrals I've seen (but stunningly beautiful). This being a Year of Mercy, this cathedral does have a Door of Mercy. Highly recommend a visit.

Date of experience: August 2016