Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
beautiful church

we didn't have chance to walk inside the church, but from the external look, it's beautiful, and... read more

Reviewed October 4, 2017
ELKW
United States
Unique Baptismal Pool

Reviewed September 12, 2016
L H
San Antonio, Texas

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Milwaukee
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 12, 2016

I walked to see this one morning from my hotel and it is a lovely church from the 1800’s. I was able to see the main church while mass was going on in a smaller side chapel. There is a beautiful baptismal font with baptismal pool that was something I had not seen in a Catholic Church before and was impressive.
The church is lovely and peaceful. There was someone sleeping on the back pew but I did not disturb him and he did not bother me. The sculpture hanging from the ceiling is quite unusual for the cathedral but all in all it is a nice place to see some beautiful designs and interior especially if you like to visit these old cathedrals and churches.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed August 27, 2016 via mobile

While in town for a family reunion, we attended mass at this spectacular cathedral. The priest and lay clergy were warm, humble and inviting. The cathedral was renovated not that long ago and included a marvelous iron sculpture of a crown of thorns which hovers over two huge iron nails. Suspended among this is a figure of Jesus with the Holy Spirit in his right hand. The seats are upholstered chairs vs pews and decor is more contemporary than most cathedrals I've seen (but stunningly beautiful). This being a Year of Mercy, this cathedral does have a Door of Mercy. Highly recommend a visit.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed February 27, 2016

We were glad we stopped, but it really felt like stepping into an empty church. We really felt like we were intruding. Plus there was someone sleeping in the chairs. I'm glad we stopped, but would not have, had we realized.

Date of experience: February 2016
Reviewed January 13, 2016

The outside of the Cathedral does not represent what is inside. What must have been an amazing interior at one time now looks like a hack job where someone couldn't make up their mind what they wanted. The main crucifix is an artistic horror. The portraits of the Milwaukee Archbishops are lovely. The tabernacle is beautiful, but you really have to hunt to find it. If you want to see amazing church architecture, visit Old St. Mary's, which is also Downtown, or see the magnificent St. Josephat's Basillica on the South Side.

Date of experience: November 2015
Reviewed December 3, 2015

I walked on a pedestrian crosswalk which was painted like the perfect replica of a piano keyboard and entered Cathedral Square Park. Could this be a clue as to what happens in that lovely park in the middle of Milwaukee? Yes, it is home to "Jazz in the Park" which is enjoyed all summer along as well as other favorite events like the "East Side Farmers' Market" and "Holiday Lights Festival". As I walked through the park, I noticed preparations in progress to turn the park into a spectacular show of sparkling lights on the city tree which will be surrounded by children's trees from all of the Milwaukee schools in celebration of the Christmas season.
Upon entering the beautiful and historic Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist I was captivated by its splendor and found it a divine place to worship.

Date of experience: November 2015