“Great fried chicken and wings”

Tomken's Bar & Grill
Ranked #137 of 1,551 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Casual, friendly bar with delicious fried chicken and at a reasonable price. The chicken wings, some of the best we ever had, large and the sauces are great.

2  Thank Grannyofthree

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is our go to place for wings! I cannot even put into words how delish they are...many different flavors and they always have a new flavor to try (ex. cranberry based one around Thanksgiving). We can't wait when we go in to see what the new one is and enjoy changing it up! Very relaxed....bar atmosphere. I see kids, but never take my own. They do have a seating area away from the bar...so is appropriate. Friendly staff...never a bad experience!

3  Thank jjsmiley
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I whole heartedly agree with the previous review. Not much to add except that the wings are also exceptional. They are the special on Mondays and Thursdays. Many flavors from which to choose, from mild to insane. You can have them grilled or fried. They of course have wings every night, but the special price is only on Monday and Thursday. Tuesday is burger night where you start with a basic burger for $2.00 and pay for the extras. Oh yes, and it's also $1.00 tap beers on Tuesday.
As said before, the staff is friendly, but get there early on wing night for a table, or you will wait.
After writing this, I may need to take a trip there tonight for chicken! They also have buckets of chicken to go.

3  Thank BeIrie
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I have been coming to this place for over 30+ years back to the days when it was Joyce's Friendly Fried Chicken. Then it bacame TomKen's, get it, Tom & Ken. Then one of them died, and now the widow and her family are running it. I like this place. It is a West Allis Tavern, left over from the factory heydays of Allis Chalmers. But, this establishment has been known for their Own recipe for broasted chicken handed down from Mr & Mrs Joyce years ago. It's a Big 1/2 Chicken, with Fries, coleslaw, and bread and butter all for 8 bucks, wrapped in a white linen cloth and served in a basket. When I come here, I only order the chicken, it is what they are known for and what I truly enjoy. Oh, and by the way, their french fries are mighty good and plentiful too. Friends of mine have ordered other things off the menu, and eveyone has said, that those items are good too, but why would I want to come here for a burger, unless I was an everyday regular. I have had some of their home made soups, that were Excellent. I do however drive out of my way to come here for the chicken, even if I am way across town. Sorry, I don't eat chain restaurant food, not that I'm too good for it, but why should I when this Mom and Pop stand are working hard to make something enjoyable for the same money or less. The bar, is a bar. Just that. A bar. The staff is always friendly, if not delightful. I eat out often, and alot of times, I don't always want to be all dressed up, I just want a really good meal and a drink for a fair price. They have their share of "regulars" that frequent, and they too always say hello to you and make you feel welcome. One other nice thing, is that they are open during lunch time, which means you can make a quick stop for lunch and enjoy this too. Eat at the bar or at a table, either is available.

3  Thank gfitz101