The Plaza Hotel is not your generic chain hotel -- whether high-end or low-end. It doesn't feature a pool for the kids, high-end shampoos and soaps, a business center, or a fitness "room" (you know, the closest-sized "center" where the treadmill faces a wall). But it does have charm, comfort, and a fabulous cafe, and it is in a darned good location -- a location featuring a fitness "center" that encompasses the vast lakefront trail system. Other reviewers have commented on how aspects of their rooms seemed woefully outdated and/or not functional. Our room seemed to have benefited from the recent renovation effort and included a highly functional air conditioning unit.
Let's break down the pluses and minuses, shall we?
- Although our room was huge, the bathroom was tiny with only one hook for hanging towels and such and no hanging bars. While adding bars might be tricky in this tiny space, adding more hooks would be both possible and very helpful.
- Our room adjoined the cafe's courtyard, and starting early in the morning (maybe 6:30?), there was quite a racket. If you need to be up anyway or can sleep through anything, this is not a problem. Otherwise, ask for a room in a different location or use the fan on the AC unit as a white-noise cover-up.
+ A charming 1920s building in a great location, within walking distance of the lake, the art museum and other downtown draws.
+ Competent customer service, including a bonus for us: an unexpected room upgrade.
+ Nicely appointed rooms, including a huge closet.
+ Easy parking (although it is extra $).
+ A cafe serving up scrumptious breakfast and lunch -- whose main drawback is that it is not open for early evening cocktails. (Perhaps this would make life worse for the people staying in rooms next to the courtyard?)
+ Good value for the price, especially in the peak of high season.
When we return to Milwaukee, it is likely that we'll stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Plaza has been a fixture on Milwaukee's eastside since the roaring 1920's. This art deco gem has been thoughtfully renovated to restore many of the stunning original architectural details while providing for the modern amenities & the latest technology today's traveler demands. Nestled in a residential nook of the Yankee Hill neighborhood, the Plaza is just 4 blocks from Lake Michigan and the city's lakefront attractions. Within walking distance to some of the city's best restaurants, nightlife, arts, sports, etc. Grocery store, churches, art galleries & shopping are all nearby. On-site parking for a minimal fee, kitchenettes & laundry room. Cafe at the Plaza, open 7am-2pm. Known for it's great breakfasts! Sitting on the edge of downtown, you will find the Plaza to be a relaxing urban retreat.Property has air conditioning in the summer months. AC unit installed based on weather conditions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your The Plaza Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.