“Outstanding Everything”

Cuisines: European, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My girlfriend (Serbian native for 24 years) and I went recently to Old Town with my parents. We all tried something different; burek, sarma, cevapcici, and the sample platter (not to mention the desserts, torte and palacinka). Even my girlfriend was impressed. As for myself and my parents, it was simply an outstanding experience. The service was friendly and quite helpful with both the food and drink suggestions. The restaurant itself was traditional Serbian and puts you into a different era and culture. When it came to the food, I couldn't ask for more. So good. I will be coming back many times.

2  Thank jon h

Reviewed April 22, 2012

While the food was great, the rudeness of the waitress is what sticks with me, so much that I will probably not go back. We took a guest who is originally from Serbia and was very excited to have an authentic experience and food from back home. When he mentioned to our waitress that he comes from Serbia, she replied "big whoop, I come from Puerto Rico...who cares..." Then, when she told us what the specials were and was ready to take our order, our friend was explaining those foods to us and was interrupted by the waitress with " um... are you going to explain each one of these, because if you are, I have like 4 or 5 other tables I need to get to so I can go take their orders and come back". I understand being busy and stressed, but her snottiness was completly uncalled for. She ruined it for me and I can't go back and I can't recommend and thats a shame because the food is excellent.

7  Thank cawolf
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I went to the Serbian Gourmet House on a Saturday night with a group of 8 friends. Our waitress was unfriendly from the beginning. When she forgot to bring someone's drink, she didn't apologize, she just brought it. When we asked if she could split our bill 4 ways, she said no, which was fine - but she seemed highly irritated with us t entire time we were there. There was a salad mix up and again, she was so rude about it that she never even apologized. I wanted to speak to the manager about our service but found out SHE WAS THE MANAGER! The place was dead on a Saturday night - and besides the hostess, she was the only waitress so this must not have been unusual. We were so very disappointed.

7  Thank juliemyszko
Reviewed February 10, 2012

This fine eatery is right on the expressway, just about two miles south of downtown Milwaukee. We were there a few times back in the 90's, so we wanted to try it again. It is a very refined restaurant with linens on the comfortable tables.

The menu features traditional Serbian cuisine, which I have eaten many times in my hometown of Chicago. I am Irish/German, but I love good food, and we had great food last night. We began with a hors de ouvre plate loaded with feta cheese, Russian potato salad, smoked ham slices, olives, tomatoes & green peppers, arranged in a beautifull presentation.

Entrees come with two complimentary Serbian spreads for the chewy bread---kaymak and ajvar. First slather on the "cream-cheese"-like kaymak, then slather on the red pepper/eggplant spread. So yummy!!!

Entrees also come with a nice Serbian salad of assorted greens & a vinaigrette dressing. Some entrees come with a rice pilaf---ours came with grilled potato fingers & grilled carrots & grilled zucccini.

I love Dalmation wine, so we had a delicious half-liter to accompany our "feast". For dessert, my wife had a Strawberry Torte that was out of this world.

If you are in Milwaukee, and do not feel the need for German cuisine (and there are many fine German eateries in Milwaukee), then do yourself a favor & try the delicious Serbian cuisine at the Old Town Serbian Gourmet!!! Plenty of free parking in the lot out back. Easy access to & from I-94. You'll be back---I know I will.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

My wife loves Borek and there is no restaurant cooks it as well as Old Town. The pastry is excellent and they bake it with cheese and spices. Let it cool, however, otherwise you'll burn your tongue! I had roasted pig which was excellent. Like most Milwaukee restaurants, the plates are full and plentiful.We have eaten here several times and the food and service is great.

4  Thank Casandra22